PS Fluid Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have replaced the PS Pump twice in the last two years and the pressure hose twice, but can't seem to quash the stupid leak. It now cost me an alternator rebuild. I have searched and read threads that seem to mostly be about the PS pump rebuild. Any thoughts on other sources of leaks of PS fluid?? Does the reservoir often need replacing? I replaced those hoses as well to no avail. The reservoir is always wet which makes me question it, but if I take it off and fill it up nothing seems to leak. Any thoughts or similar stories?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Since the reservoir is wet, that would be my first guess. Fluid won't fall upwards. I had actually fixed my PS fluid leak just by adding a breeze style hose clamp (screw driven) for the upper interface of the return line to reservoir. Do you have the old style spring clamp on still? Have you cleaned the area thoroughly? Might be easier to track the leak.

The PS reservoir is known to leak.
First, buy a new OEM cap.

Second, remove the reservoir, clean it well, and look at disassembling the lid from it and resealing and re-crimping the top lip. There is a rubber seal where the top meets the sidewall. I know someone here has done it and posted how they did it.

This one is on my list, I just have not got to it yet.

When you have it apart, there is a screen in the bottom of the reservoir that should be cleaned as well.

@Alan Jones - I have had 3 80's now & 2/3 of them had a fluid ring sitting on top the reservoir rim.

I never replaced a cap, but I expect I'm pressurizing fluid enough even there that it burps.

The more miles I've had the worse the 80 has had the issue - a 135K 80, a 230K & a 360K that burps fluid like Ted Nugent on his hunting show (alot).

My 135K-er is dry, but by 185K the LX450 was burping it on occasion.

And unless a new cap is NLA, it seems more money to buy a new reservoir.

Some hate to hear this...... but mine was going thru a whole reservoir every 50 miles, leaking near the bottom of the pressure hose. I dumped some brake fluid in the res and it hasn't leaked since. Probably 5000 miles or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom