Proper Center Diff Lock Operation Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
raincitysupercars.com
I searched but couldn't find the quick answer I was looking for. Newbie question for Center Diff Lock Operation:

I've got a locked '99, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. When I shift into low range the center diff lock light comes on. Hitting the center diff lock button on the dash does nothing. Moving does nothing. Shifting back into 4w-high immediately turns off the light and everything is working as expected. Hitting the button in 4w-high immediately activates the light on the dash. Rear locker works fine and indicating as normal when engaged. So the question is, what is the normal operation of the center diff lock in 4w-low? Light always on?

Yes. Comes on with Low range.
Search: Pin 7 mod.

To elaborate slightly.
In normal operation the 100 series is All Wheel Drive, ie power is supplied to both differentials all the time with the center differential compensating for differences in rotation between the front and rear axle. Potentially only one wheel could be actually driven in this mode. Locking the center differential (4WD) supplies equal power to both front and rear differentials which compensate for differences in rotation between the wheels. Potentially only two wheels could actually be driven in this mode. Locking the rear differential forces equal power to be applied to both rear wheels. Watch this video for a good explanation of how differentials work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom