Project Still for Sale '68 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, good news / bad news:

The good news, she doesn't have a 283! It has a GM 350 crate motor. Here are the specs:

"10067353 - 5.7L- (LS9-L) & (LM1-6) 1971-1985 GM Cars & Trucks (Up To 7,200 GVW) With Chevy 350 V8 - Also known As The "Universal 350"

Detailed Description
10067353 Brand New Goodwrench 350 Engine 1971-1985 Car and light Truck Replacement Engine.
This engine remains our most popular largest selling crate engine of all times.
This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New.

350 Cubic inches 4.00" Bore, 3.47" stroke
8.5:1 compression ratio.
250 HP @4300 rpm
350 ft. lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm
( These Numbers obtained with a Quadrajet Carb,1 5/8" headers , and an Edelbrock Performer intake part # 2101)

Engine consists of the following parts:
Block -part # 10066034, casting # 10066036
2 piece rear main seal 4 bolt main
Crankshaft- part # 3932444
Nodular Iron 1985 and older flywheel bolt pattern.
Powdered Metal Connecting rods- Part # 10108688
Cast Aluminum Pistons- part#12514101
G.M. High Volume Pump Oil Pump- part # 12555284
Hydralic Flat tappet Camshaft-
Intake Lift-.383" Exhaust Lift-.401"
Intake Duration @ .050"- 194 Exhaust Duration @.050"- 202
Lobe Seperation-112
This cam Has a mechanical Fuel Pump Lobe.
This is a low end Torque oriented camshaft.

Cylinder Heads- part # 14034808, casting #33417369, 1.94" Intake valve, 1.50" Exhaust Valve, 76cc Combustion Chamber, 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's

Notes:
Will not work in 1986 and newer applications!
This engine includes Painted Valve Covers, oil pan and Timing Cover. This engine is drilled for both L.H. and R.H. dipsticks. Plugs Are included to plug the side not used.Two timing pointers are also included, a pointer for a 6" balancer and a pointer for an 8' balancer.Balancer with 2:00 timing mark must be used with this engine in order for mark to line up with the pointer.

For most stock applications with HEI ignition, Base ignition timing should be set to 10 before top dead center (with vacuum advance disconected) Total ignition timing should be around 36 @ 3000 rpm.

Spark plugs that should be used are AC Delco R45TS gapped at .045"
Oil filters used with this engine include PF25 , PF35 , PF1218 , or PF35L. The first oil filter is a 1/2 Quart type, the last three are the 1 quart type.
Generally 10W30 or 10W40 oil is used in this engine. "

As for the bad news, @Mr Chuck Norris was right to suggest running the casting numbers... DAMNIT! LOL

Oh well, still for sale.

:grinpimp:

I occasionally have some good ideas (tearing my truck apart multiple times does not fall under that list).

This engine is running a Rochester Quadrajet carb with the casting number 17054927. Cross referencing that number led to a lot of frustration because it didn't make sense in the decoder. The carbs numbers were an oxymoron.

Anyway, come to find out, it is a service replacement carb for a 1972 4MV q-jet. I know that the carb will more than likely need to be rebuilt, but at least I will know what I'm starting with. Carb tuning is something I really haven't messed with, so this will be interesting when the time comes.

I’m not experienced in carbs at all, but I used this one with good success. It took a couple hours, because I kept rewinding it to make sure I understood each step. I just went to Moab and never had a hiccup from the carb. Pointed at the sky or sidehilling. I still don’t have my secondaries working, so it’s not perfect, but the carb worked awesome.

I’m not experienced in carbs at all, but I used this one with good success. It took a couple hours, because I kept rewinding it to make sure I understood each step. I just went to Moab and never had a hiccup from the carb. Pointed at the sky or sidehilling. I still don’t have my secondaries working, so it’s not perfect, but the carb worked awesome.

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you! Quadrajets are my favorite carb for anything that sees dirt and I have had very good luck with them in the past. However, I have always dropped them off and had them tuned for my engine. I don't know if I will have the extra cash to do that this time. We shall see!

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you! Quadrajets are my favorite carb for anything that sees dirt and I have had very good luck with them in the past. However, I have always dropped them off and had them tuned for my engine. I don't know if I will have the extra cash to do that this time. We shall see!
It wasn’t overly difficult and it was very worthy. Just depends if you have the time or the money. I still look longingly at efi and ls setups, but there’s to many other things in line beforehand to fix and upgrade. It’s working, so I’m sticking to it.
D45375E7-9812-47AB-999E-5749AB108E9D.jpeg

Well, it looks like this will be going up for sale for real... With a baby on the way I really can't see when I will have the spare time or money to do anything with it. I would much rather sell it (or trade it) and get a pick-up or 4Runner that I can actually use now. It's kinda sad, but who am I kidding. We all knew it was going to be up for sale eventually.

Well, it looks like this will be going up for sale for real... With a baby on the way I really can't see when I will have the spare time or money to do anything with it. I would much rather sell it (or trade it) and get a pick-up or 4Runner that I can actually use now. It's kinda sad, but who am I kidding. We all knew it was going to be up for sale eventually.

Whew! What a crazy build that was! :hillbilly:

On a real note, congratulations on the baby on the way! Would've loved to follow the whole build but hey, kids seem to take priority..thank god I don't have any yet.

Also I appreciate your support to JDRF..very nice to see that!

I know, right? LOL!

Thank you. To be honest, I would love to find a truck like the one you just sold.

As for JDRF, my 9 yr old daughter is T1. It is a crazy disease... Kinda like herding cats.

Man! I would've probably traded it for your 40 if I still had it. It was an awesome build for sure. The current owner is loving it out in Louisiana, it's reliable as ever and a killer trail rig.

And yes it is. I have a family friend who was diagnosed with T1 as a kid. We went to a lot of JDRF events when I was younger and my parents are very big on that. He's still got it and is doing well, so there's hope for sure. Just a pain in the ass to manage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom