Project Space Shuttle - 5.0 powered '84 FJ60 on Coilovers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let no one say you didn't take this on and go full bore. Impressive. What kind of crawl ratio will you have (low, low)?

Crawl ratio is something I never paid attention to. That's just a magazine stat just like RTI (ramp travel index) was in 1998.

That said this will be 5.72 x 2.62 x 3.73 = 56:1 which is plenty low. This isn't going to be a rock crawler so low gears are not my primary concern. I'm trying to have a very well rounded rig.

Holy Sh!T! Nice build. I've got nothing to add.

I bought a CARB approved air intake for the Mustang since it fits a bit better than the stock box.

20150422_012542.jpg

The wires removed from all that stock smog crap:

20150422_012605.jpg

Added some 2005 Celica GT seats to replace my s*** stockers and built some brackets for them. Added a YJ center console to replace my broken stock one.

20150426_014437.jpg

I took the steering wheel and column completely apart and washed them for days to get the grime out. Then I dyed them to gloss black.

20150422_012618.jpg

Repainted dash and shifters mocked into place. You can also see where the ECU is mounted in the stock single speaker location.

20150426_014445.jpg

No one seems to offer a hitch for this thing, and I didn't want one integrated into the bumper for multitudes of reasons. Did I mention that everyone who sells a rear bumper for this thing wants a god damn fortune for one?

I went onto E-trailer and ordered a DIY RV class 3 hitch and adapted it to my frame. It turned out very clean and only cost $203 shipped. The part no. is 82200 from etrailer.com . I do plan on towing some stuff with my Cruiser in the future.

Hitch laid out.

20150422_195745.jpg

Fitting the hitch (the white stuff is rust converter).

20150424_184920.jpg

Bolted on (I knocked off that sharp edge but didn't snap a picture)

20150424_232543.jpg

20150426_122531.jpg

Side view of my multi color no windowed cruiser.

As noted before, the previous owner used to stand on the damned roof and caused quite a bit of damage. I noticed that all of the roof cross members were bent down about 2 inches because of his stupidity. I took my floor jack army to get the roof back into shape.

20150428_234643.jpg

20150428_234653.jpg

Then the thing was off to the paint shop.

20150501_110130.jpg

While it's interned there, I found a set of FJ Cruiser AL wheels with spacers for a good price. They had some scratches on them, so I opted to paint them semi-gloss to match everything else.

20150509_172735.jpg

20150509_172739.jpg

Right now I'm just working on accessories while this thing is being painted.

Finished recovering the dash with an Amazon special. It looks good - especially for $60 shipped

20150428_234633.jpg

Here it is at the paint shop. All the body work is finished.

20150519_180145.jpg

20150519_180155.jpg

20150519_180206.jpg

ARB Bumper in the biggest box I've ever seen. I should have bought stock in a cardboard company.

20150522_121341.jpg

Great project

Wow this build did 0-60 real quick. I like it.

Great work, is the body going to be black as well? Or maybe a nice Ford Blue? :hillbilly:

Wow this build did 0-60 real quick. I like it.

Great work, is the body going to be black as well? Or maybe a nice Ford Blue? :hillbilly:

No standard Toyota white of the generation. I believe the code is "Pearl White" which I triple confirmed is not a pearl coat, it's an off-white. It should be finished in the booth next Thursday.

I'm into the whole "hiding in plain sight" thing. I'd rather have it look clean and stockish to not raise any attention to itself.

I should also add that a roof rack will never be part of this truck - in case anyone is going to ask that. I also am utilizing the factory spare tire location since it will fit a full size spare.

I should also add that a roof rack will never be part of this truck - in case anyone is going to ask that.

Do you have some animosity towards roof racks?

Because I do and am always looking for more reasons to rag on them.

Haters gotta hate...

Do you have some animosity towards roof racks?

Because I do and am always looking for more reasons to rag on them.

Yes. I think they are so useless. People have them in Australia to avoid funnel webs and boot spiders when camping. People in Africa have them to avoid lions and hyenas. People in America have them because they can't tell their wives to pack less god damned shoes.

Here are a few mechanical reasons why I hate them:
  • They break the seam sealer on the drip rail and cause rust (as previously pictured)
  • They kill your truck with unneeded wind drag
  • My FJ60 is on 37 inch tires, which means I would need to bring a ladder to get to the rack
  • If you fill the cargo area in your cruiser, you have too much stuff
  • Cargo racks don't last long offroad
  • I already have an F-350 and a trailer to carry big things
  • I don't ski
  • Kayaks are for people in herpes commercials

Well you seem to be solely absorbed..

Nope...

Never knew the ZF would bolt to the 302. All the small block pickups from back then ran that mazda POS. This is encouraging news, that trans is a monster.
Great looking build, subscribed.

Yeah, they were available in the 3/4 tons, which offered a small block and straight six.

Going back a little bit, but you wrote that you dyed your steering wheel gloss black. I have never heard of this, but it looks great. What process/ product did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom