Project penetration oil - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
How was dealing with Gigglepin? Every inquiry after my first one has gone unanswered. What parts did you order from them and what was the shipping time?

What motor are you going to run?

I haven't received anything yet, will let you know ... they were responsive to my emails. Going with the stock warn motor -

Tucker

Any update on this rebuild? I am thinking of doing the same...trying to source a M8274 that has seen better days.

I've made a little progress, still waiting on parts (but my fault) from GB. Here's some pics of everything except the brake, motor, and clutch assembled :)

ef5004aa.jpg

4b4dc7b4.jpg

1750fac6.jpg

edba7640.jpg

ac70406e.jpg

I think it's turning out pretty well from where I started :D

:cheers:

Tucker

Any updates?

It's good to see old stuff being made new again. If you don't mind, what is the general price range to refurbish one of these units. I might have the option of purchasing the same winch for a song but it's in similar shape as yours.

whats the deal said:
It's good to see old stuff being made new again. If you don't mind, what is the general price range to refurbish one of these units. I might have the option of purchasing the same winch for a song but it's in similar shape as yours.

I'll be four bills in all done, not cheap but like new w/o the $2k price ;). Your easiest route is $300-400 on a running used one that needs less work, I love a challenge though -

Tucker

I would love to see the parts that you get from Gigglepin...can you post pics of those?

I am trying to source an old, beat up 8274 here in Oregon so that I can do the same thing. However, I am probably going to upgrade to the Gigglepin twin motor along with their beefier internals...so it will be a bit north of 2k. Just trying to find a worn out 8274, especially a lower housing...

Update:

Some teaser shots for you guys, was hopoing to have it fully operational for a wheeling trip last weekend but didn't get it done. Ran into issues with an Aussie locker install and had to order different thickness thrust washer shims ... long story short I was assembling a differential instead of wiring a winch :frown: Did get it all assembled and mounted up minus the solenoid pack:

c0737dfe.jpg

2da77a7c.jpg

0a8b9f40.jpg

Ended up just buying a new clutch from Warn instead of the billet Gigglepin ($75 vs. $150), did go with the upgraded brake shoes though. Will take more pics once I get it wired up and spooled, have a trick in-cab control as well.

Tucker

Dang, that looks good. Great job!

Hate it when threads die with no conclusion, so here's my finished 8274 ready for 20 more years of abuse. All and all I'm prolly in this for about what you would pay for the new generation of Chinese winches, so think twice before you pass on that basket case ... you could have a and affordable 8274 with a little work!

ff0b9c74.jpg

b3ea8525.jpg

Tucker

Hate it when threads die with no conclusion, so here's my finished 8274 ready for 20 more years of abuse.

Looks great; better than mine!

All and all I'm prolly in this for about what you would pay for the new generation of Chinese winches, so think twice before you pass on that basket case ... you could have a and affordable 8274 with a little work!

You said it! Craigslist is your friend for finding old 8274's.

Great job Tucker! That's amazing!

Update -

So I was lucky enough to source a old-style 4-pin connector from 1911 here and use this out at Katemcy for the LSLC Roundup, but not in an ideal setup. All I could find locally was 2 ga. cables for automotive starter applications, which wasn't the ideal setup under load :frown: So I'm currently working on a new wiring setup, planning on running 4/0 AWG cables with a 500 amp shutoff switch on the hot side. Found this site for the cables:

4/0 AWT Cables - Up to 5500 watts

Ordered a Hella switch off Amazon, will post up some pics after I get it installed this weekend. I also have a in-cab control from 12VoltGuy to install as well ...

Tucker

What's wrong with the 2 ga wire Tucker? Isn't that what was stock on these and is what Watn still sells?

What's wrong with the 2 ga wire Tucker? Isn't that what was stock on these and is what Watn still sells?
It's all about how much redundancy you want, I've read an 8274 pulls 350 amps continuous under load with a peak over 500 amps. 4/0 AWG can support 450 amps continuous, 2 ga. can support 150 amps.

Tucker

I just figured that if warn sold them with 2 ga wire and that Is what they still sell the wire would be the right gauge.

I'm just making sure my system is rated to handle this:

According the WARN website this winch motor pulls 55 amps in a no-load scenario, almost 200 amps at 2000 pounds and 450 amps at 8000 pounds.

Since you are already over the max amp rating with a 2000lb pull, I'd say the 2 ga. cables Warn sells are somewhat less than ideal. With 4/0 AWG cables and a 500 amp rated switch, I should never run into any issues ;) Overkill maybe ... but we are all Cruiserheads :steer:

Tucker

Thanks for the clarification I was curious if maybe I wasn't thinking clearly when ordering the wires from Warn since I already did and have them at the house... Hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom