Project "Beaker" a BJ-44 expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That was a fun day. I still owe you a few beers for that.

It's a good thing I am out if town or I'd be drooling and getting in the way of Justin and the boys the entire time...

As another 44 owner- I'll be chiming in with plenty of questions! I've been thinking of some of the same mods so save those frame templates for sure. Have fun with this one.

Pete

Hey Justin!

This thing is going to look awesome and wheel even better when you get done with it! Keep it up man!

BreckenridgeCruiser-

You left it in good hands!;) And I like your plans for it!

I'm pretty excited.

It was a tough choice to re-engineer the suspension as I am sort of a purist when it comes to some things (if you can call a 4-5" lift I had on it already pure). But then I bought an 80 to drive while I rebuild my truck this winter and take care of the rust on the body. The ride quality on and off road in the 80 was what started the ideas flowing. With my intent of using the truck as a daily driver, and a "fast and light" expo rig, a solid and smooth suspension seemed like the best thing to make the truck a comfortable, capable, and durable rig to do everything I wanted. I always thought I wanted an 80, but after having the option of having a diesel mid wheel base 40 series with a modern 80-like suspension made my choice easy to sell the 80 when the build is done.

I was already talking with Justin about some things and his passion for his work was pouring out of him. It was a no brainer to put my truck in his hands. He is always coming up with great ideas and is pushing the limits on what a truck can do.

For those that followed my threads on the Alcan suspension, I want to make sure to let everyone know, I am NOT doing this mod due to dissatisfaction with my previous setup. Leaf spring design in general is the culprit. I go from having my truck loaded down with almost #1000 of gear, to driving it completely empty with the top and doors off in the summer. It is a lot of work to 'adjust' leaves to move between these two states, and if I tried to split the difference with a leaf pack to do both, it would still suck at the two ends of the spectrum where I spend a majority of my time. My leaves would b e great for someone that uses their truck either mid to heavy loaded all of the time, or remove a leaf and run it empty to mid loaded all of the time.

If you couldn't tell, my old setup is for sale! It will come with everything you need minus U bolts (springs, extended 4+ HD shackles, bushings, Bilstein shocks, and possibly even the brake lines). it will fit a 81 and newer 43, 44, 45, 46, or 47. If you are not against changing the hangers (which I may have depending on removal from my frame), it will fit pre 81 rigs too. I will post a classifieds thread when I get back to town, but if you really want these now, I can probably arrange something.

Well, enough about me. Back to the sick things Red Line is doing!

hey justin, i hope to hell the underside of his rig was hideously dirty..i'd hate to think he'd clean it up for you, but everytime he comes to my house, it's got 10 years of grease/oil/dirt/hairballs/wtfever on it ;)

can't wait to see how kraig's rig turns out! can't wait to see the work on the utah piggie too.

Ige, the underside was filthy!!!! I had just 2.5 hrs in cleaning it with a power washer:rolleyes: Bad Kraig, Bad.:ban: JK

In note of progress for this build is....AUTO CAD is working overtime right now on design all of our brackets. These brackets will possibly a new standard for our link suspensions! I hope to have some posts in the next day or so of with them!!

Thanks

Justin

Actually, I cleaned a lot of it up when when we swapped in the h55 Ige! I'm sure it was pretty gross still as you saw the transmission!

I can wait on seeing the Utah piggie. Last thing I need is a growing wish list. And so far everything I have seen that Justin touches, I want. You saw that pig resto he just did and sold. Ugh.. i almost traded him my 44. Almost.

K

Simul-post with Justin. ^

Yeah. I got lazy knowing it would be apart in a few months. Then i found that the leak was super easy to get to and fix. D'oh!

K

Wow - how did I miss this? Should be fun to watch. Definitely a shot against the purist mode, but I can see the reasoning. :cool:

With my bj44 as a daily I totally understand the desire to have the link suspension under there. I'm seriously thinking about it myself- especially if there were 44 specific set up available- (hint hint) Not sure if I could get away with it in terms of the regulations here though......

One thing I can say is the rear springs are not the only thing set up for a full half ton load; the rear brakes are set up for a full half ton load as well. That is why the 70 series (and maybe 60 too?) had the load sensing valve installed. You might think about ways to get the front/rear balance better because it will come around on you in wet slippery conditions if you lock it up unloaded. Can you say "slippery slope?"

Best!

Pete

I wonder if a manual proportioning valve would work... maybe like the ones they use for reducing the power of power steering assist.

Either way, I intend to have some weight back there in the future as I plan on building tool/spare storage into the unused space in the extended wheel well area behind the wheels. that plus a second fuel tank should give her a little fatter butt.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Kraig.....would those springs fit my 45??

Absolutely, though the hangers would have to be widened to fit the post 1981 spring width and diameter.

Well the proportioning valve would probably do the trick thought they have some limitations. I think if your always going to have 1/4 ton or so of weight back there the valve would be perfect. Its been an issue for me twice and one I was trying to make it happen. I was coming down a wet clay forest road- very slick- and I just locked it up to test it out- and the rear started coming around. The other time was a little bone chilling as it was on the highway in wet weather and I had to brake hard. It started to get a little sideways on me after the rears locked up but of course straightened out when I let up again.

I was actually thinking of using the extra space in the back wheel wells for the batteries and or a 24v compressor. Lots of room to be had there. As strange as it might sound if I were to use it for tools I'd want the door on the outside so you don't have to pull everything out of the back of the truck to get to them. I think if done right and flush with the body it would be a very cool mod.

Pete

Hey BreckenridgeCruiser,

Great to see you setting out on this project, but I'm confused.

You gave me gallons of $#!t for getting ready to swap a RHD to LHD, in order to make a BJ-44 look less like an import and more like a domestic while keeping it more or less stock.

You on the other hand are ripping out classic suspension parts in order to go with coil springs.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :hmm:

Something stinks in Denmark. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Best of luck with your truck!

Hope you get rid of that :censor: sunroof.

T :hillbilly:

I was actually thinking of using the extra space in the back wheel wells for the batteries and or a 24v compressor. Lots of room to be had there. As strange as it might sound if I were to use it for tools I'd want the door on the outside so you don't have to pull everything out of the back of the truck to get to them. I think if done right and flush with the body it would be a very cool mod.

Pete

I am planning on keeping the door inside for security and secrecy in foreign countries. While external access would be quicker, I don't want people getting ideas of breaking the lock and latch to see what is in there. I was going to also use stock wheel well metal for the floor of the compartment (ccot or pilgrim stamped) to make it look like nothing is there from below the vehicle.

@Tobash - Ha! I completely knew I was due for that! :beer: The only defense I had for that stance is based on the fact that you weren't sure you were going to keep the vehicle and was concerned about resale. I am a huge proponent of keeping things stock if you intend to ever sell a truck, as stockish rare and good condition rigs are getting harder and harder to find. I feel that if you are not sure you want to keep it forever, then you are just a steward until it is passed on. Think of all the PO stuff you hated on your rig when you got it! Also, I am sorry if you thought I was giving you the rundown as opposed to just an opinion. That is the beauty of this place. We all have opinions and build our trucks to our own needs and wants. I thought it was cool you humored us on our opinions and let us throw our two cents into what is ultimately only your decision to make.

In my case, I have every intent of keeping this forever and am building it to serve my individual purposes. Also, I am keeping the appearance as close to stock as possible from a body standpoint. From a mechanical standpoint, not so much.

Oh, and the sunroof is staying, and maybe even getting an upgrade. You would not believe the venting/cooling it provides in hot weather. plus it lightens up the cabin quite a bit.

K

Last edited:
I am planning on keeping the door inside for security and secrecy in foreign countries. While external access would be quicker, I don't want people getting ideas of breaking the lock and latch to see what is in there. I was going to also use stock wheel well metal for the floor of the compartment (ccot or pilgrim stamped) to make it look like nothing is there from below the vehicle.

K

I have a parts truck that I will use the wheel wells from as well- exact same idea! Makes since on keeping the door inside from that point of view for sure. I guess I'm pretty spoiled here in Japan- I never even take the key out of the ignition...

Pete

Should be interesting build.

tobash I agree that you would be a fool to swap your truck to a left hand drive. we've talked about this and the best solution I think is that you give me your truck. don't you dare sell it with out talking to me. I'm on the top of your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom