Princess Rig: Diesel Manual Troopy-Style Pop-top Conversion and Off to Adventure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ended up here after following along the 'Clunk..' thread, and promptly killed a couple hours at work (there aren't any benefits to working in a cubicle, but I'll take what I can get...) reading through this entire thread.

Incredible build, and I thoroughly enjoy the writing. All inspirational.

Good luck on the odd noise (sorry I cannot offer advice there), and I'll be watching for the continuation of the truck-house life.

Regards,
Travis.-

I ended up here after following along the 'Clunk..' thread, and promptly killed a couple hours at work (there aren't any benefits to working in a cubicle, but I'll take what I can get...) reading through this entire thread.

Incredible build, and I thoroughly enjoy the writing. All inspirational.

Good luck on the odd noise (sorry I cannot offer advice there), and I'll be watching for the continuation of the truck-house life.

Regards,
Travis.-
Thanks man. Glad I could help pass a cubicle day a bit better.

Truck house life will continue. Just possible not until the motor is completely rebuilt. 6 hammered BEBs with 4000mi and no obvious cause is not comforting with the trips I have planned.

I've been meaning to circle back around to this thread and document some of my adventures in the big girl since the build. But with data limits, crappy cell reception, and constantly having to plan my next move, it never happened.

I am going to add a few photos of the last 18mo of traveling around the western US. I may get around to adding a few mini trip reports if people are interested.

I also want to add some reviews of equipment that I'm running and a bit of a "what worked, what didn't" compilation. That might come together slowly and piece-meal, but maybe it will help someone out down the road.

Some Stats:
-18mo Travelling and living in my 80.
-Almost exactly 25,000mi driven
-Average around 20mpg. Best 24mpg, worst probably about 17mpg aired way down and rough terrain. Average 600mi range with factory sub-tank.
-Longest dirt stretch: ~10 days & 400mi out of a 500mi stretch from outside of Escalante, looping through Capitol Reef/Henry Mountains/Glen Canyon/Maze District
- 750mi hiked. ~80,000ft elevation gain. About 15mi/gal water. Two pairs of shoes destroyed. One knee blown out. Three times I *probably* should have gotten stitches. Only one near death experience.
-Zero flat tires somehow.
-Aired down probably at least 100x.
-Zero major breakdowns. Racking my brain for minor breakdowns... Just some necessary re-torquing of suspension parts coming loose and oil changes/tire rotations. But quite a few "What's that thump? That's new. Sh*t." moments. A few of which still haven't been solved. Lol.
-At least 130 Native American sites visited (passion of mine).
-3 Nat'l Park Junior Ranger badges earned.
-Dozens of showers stolen by sneaking into State Parks/RV Parks. Hundreds of showers outside in the elements.
-Most time this trip spent in WY, UT, NV, and Death Valley.
-Favorite places this round: Bighorn Nat'l Forest, Shoshone Nat'l Forest, Headwaters of the Green River, San Raphael Swell, Death Valley (4 months deep diving my favorite place on earth), northern Capitol Reef, Maze District.

img_0513.jpg

untitled_panorama-1-2-orig.jpg

img_0566.jpg

img_0648.jpg

untitled_panorama-3-2.jpg

img_0683.jpg

img_6192.jpg

img_8225.jpg

dsc_4545-pano-mk5.jpg

Man that sounds like an incredible adventure. Way to put that 80 to work living up to it's expectations!!!!

Been wondering how your travels have been going. Thanks for circling back and posting some of your adventures. Looks like an awesome time with some challenges thrown in to make it more memorable when looking back at it down the road.

Wow great Picture, thanks for posting !!

Wondered how you adventures were going.

How did that tail gate storage work out ?

Wow great Picture, thanks for posting !!

Wondered how you adventures were going.

How did that tail gate storage work out ?

Hopefully updating soon on most/all mods & updates.

The Rugged Bound/Big Country tailgate storage has been great. Countersinking the mounting bolts was key. I spend a lot of time sitting/cooking/working on the tailgate. I have struggled with the latches sticking but I think I’ve finally completely sealed the tailgate from dust so maybe now they’ll stay lubed.

Thanks for the inspirational read. The truck's even the right color! Yeah, punching the holes in the dash can be intimidating, but those bars are just so damn handy.

Just wanted to post up here that now I have a blog of sorts if anyone wants to follow my travels in my 80. Up to now it's been boring hiking based but I'm hoping this winter to start adding some more 4WD content and drives.

www.pocketsfullofdust.com
@kungfumechanic on Insta

IMG_2829.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom