preferred coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a preferred coolant for the 3FE engine?

1991 FJ80, all I know is what's in there now is green and only good to -7F according to the hygrometer.
It's clean, I'm thinking if nothing special is necessary for coolant I will drain some out of the radiator, add propylene glycol concentrate, and see if the hygrometer reading improves.

A good plan? Not so much?

Your plan sounds good. I did red coolant because I was flushing the system anyways and wanted to try it. Just don't mix green and red.

Nothing wrong with your plan.

Personally I prefer Green to red as it's easier to source and I do pretty regular changes anyway.

The following is based on my '97 1FZFE so likely will vary a bit with your 3FE but could be fairly close?

If you remove one end of the lower rad hose and let it drain from there then also drain the overflow bottle the system refill takes right at 2 gallons to get the level back to where you want it. Years ago I did a full system flush and changed to green coolant and now I do the 2 gallon drain/refill annually and it keeps the coolant in great shape. I do this partial drain/refill because it's fast and easy and I don't have to lay on the ground to access the rad. drain bung.​
The 1FZ coolant system has around a 14.5 quart fluid capacity so the above 2 gallon drain/refill is about a 55% fluid change.​
I'm not sure on the 3FE coolant capacity or how much a lower rad hose drain/refill will change but I see one source saying there's a 19.5 QT capacity in the 3FE. It also may be easier to use the rad drain bung vs the rad hose on a 3FE, not sure on that.

Nothing wrong with your plan.

Personally I prefer Green to red as it's easier to source and I do pretty regular changes anyway.

The following is based on my '97 1FZFE so likely will vary a bit with your 3FE but could be fairly close?

If you remove one end of the lower rad hose and let it drain from there then also drain the overflow bottle the system refill takes right at 2 gallons to get the level back to where you want it. Years ago I did a full system flush and changed to green coolant and now I do the 2 gallon drain/refill annually and it keeps the coolant in great shape. I do this partial drain/refill because it's fast and easy and I don't have to lay on the ground to access the rad. drain bung.​
The 1FZ coolant system has around a 14.5 quart fluid capacity so the above 2 gallon drain/refill is about a 55% fluid change.​
I'm not sure on the 3FE coolant capacity or how much a lower rad hose drain/refill will change but I see one source saying there's a 19.5 QT capacity in the 3FE. It also may be easier to use the rad drain bung vs the rad hose on a 3FE, not sure on that.
Thanks all.

I'm looking at the lower hose and thinking it might not be a bad idea to change it, looks old and the power steering pump appears to have been leaking on it for years.

I can see it but haven't figured out how to get to it yet, there are some parts in the way. But better a planned repair than an unplanned repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom