Pre-trip maintenance and tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First let me say, I know there are tons of threads about this . But what’s the point of being apart of this forum if I can’t get tips and tricks personally for my rig I have a 97 fzj80 that I picked up from a school teacher 10 minutes from where I live . His daughter drove it everyday to school. As far as maintenance records , he took it to jiffy lube for oil changes and most receipts are for things that were most likely throwing check engine lights , 02 sensors , cats, EGR.
I picked it up with 164k miles , all stock and needed some love to get it in shape .
So far I have done - (171k now)
PHH
New coolant
T stat
Front brakes and rotors
Wheels and tires
Scan gauge
Knuckle rebuild
Egr delete
Fuel filter
Starter
Belts
Idler pulley
PO- put a new radiator and plugs and plug wires , and alternator
To do list- rear brakes , water pump for peace of mind , diff breathers . U joints
( the trans will be getting a rebuild as it’s slipping in Reverse )
I’m going to Moab from Abq then through Colorado and possibly up north a little farther I’m thinking this will be a 7 day trip . I want to hit trails and be able to venture off Without worry and be off grid . My question now = what’s some things I should carry as in spares, what’s stuff that could and should be replaced before hand , I have invested a lot of money in this project and budget is getting tight and this is the big trip I’m going to be able to take with it . So far it’s proven worthy with these smaller trips . Everything that’s been done to it has been in my ownership ( still planning on doing a lift beforehand also)

B800F955-C460-404B-90A3-C7A284CFFAA4.jpeg

0293FFD2-BBE9-4804-B7EB-ECBB86D8F665.jpeg

A2CE92C7-34EA-4A53-930B-7080624DF53B.jpeg

I'd skip the lift is budget is tight and focus on regular maintenance. I like to start with things that could cause a breakdown and work backward from there to create a priority list. For example the cooling system is a top priority because a failure can leave you stranded (pretty much the same with most fluids).

The transmission slipping in reverse is something I'd focus effort and resources on before a trip. Way before water pump, rear brakes, U joints etc... U joints if greased and quiet will be fine, water pump isn't a preventative replacement item on these, rear brakes will be fine unless there is an issue at the moment. Diff breathers are a good idea, minimal effort and low cost ($20).

One last thing, I recommend doing the maintenance well in advance of the trip so you have some time locally for a shakedown run (regular commute, etc..) to make sure there aren't any issues.

Hey Zack ! Thanks for the response , transmission is definitely at the top of the list right now and won’t be making this trip til it’s fixed , I suppose I’ll skip the water pump for now then , I don’t want to aimlessly through money at stuff That “could” fail , if that were the case I’d be rebuilding the entire engine . Just looking to fix top items that will leave me stranded wishing I checked/ replaced them and I was thinking of doing U joints because they are clicking when shifting and that bothers me. . I think I’ll be in pretty good shape just want to be as trouble free as possible

Have you greased the U joints? Its a good habit to grease them every oil change. I'd also be sure to torque check the steering knuckle nuts before a trip.

The reverse issue you mention is somewhat common on the 97's, do a search and see what people have done to get it resolved.

Yes I did ! I greased then when I last changed the oil , and I’ve done multiple searches but can’t seem to find a “kit” or definite fix . So I’ve decided to freshen up the trans , after all it doesn’t have 171k miles on it .

You've done the PHH; got the multiplier, and a Hi-Lift; fill it with gas and go. You're good.

When are you going on this 7day trip? If you’re heading into the mountains of CO, you may be dealing with some snow into May and June...

What rolliges said.

I took some trips when I first got my cruiser having done WAY less PM than you have. Cruiser did just fine. If you’ve ever been in the third world, folks run Cruisers with far less maintenance and concern than we show our rigs.

Later, found all kinds of things that needed fixing that I didn’t know about at the time. (Glad I didn’t know at the time or I wouldn’t have done the trips.) Still glad I did those trips.

You've done the PHH; got the multiplier, and a Hi-Lift; fill it with gas and go. You're good.

What rolliges said.

I took some trips when I first got my cruiser having done WAY less PM than you have. Cruiser did just fine. If you’ve ever been in the third world, folks run Cruisers with far less maintenance and concern than we show our rigs.

Later, found all kinds of things that needed fixing that I didn’t know about at the time. (Glad I didn’t know at the time or I wouldn’t have done the trips.) Still glad I did those trips.
Which is why I chose the land cruiser ! Just focusing on making memories with it with as little trouble as possible haha!

Get a FSM and a set of tools.... helped me feel better being out and about.

True . I need to have this mindset , I just like to feel confident. That’s all!

I'd get rid of the damage multiplier in the front - it doesn't cost anything other than time to remove. Seems like you have taken care of the big things. I agree with @ZackR that it is best not to do a bunch of preventative maintenance before a big trip. Better to do it early and make sure there aren't any problems by driving it around a while than finding out that you did something wrong while on the trip.

I'd get rid of the damage multiplier in the front - it doesn't cost anything other than time to remove. Seems like you have taken care of the big things. I agree with @ZackR that it is best not to do a bunch of preventative maintenance before a big trip. Better to do it early and make sure there aren't any problems by driving it around a while than finding out that you did something wrong while on the trip.
I Think I will , I know how useless it is but I just love way it looks! But I suppose I should .

The look without it will grow on you over time. If you need protection get an aftermarket bumper that fits the look/function you need, but at the moment if trying to save money I'd run without it. I've wanted a slee or arb for a long time but have other priorities that keep taking up the funds. I don't wheel it hard and don't have deer to contend with regularly so it isn't as high on the list. Maybe some day, but in the meantime the stock bumper works just fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom