Power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2/1971 FJ 40. It doesn't have power steering. Is this an option that can be added easily? Of so, where can I get it.
Thanks
Rick

1971 FJ40
1952 VW Split Bug
1997 Jaguar XK8

There are a bunch of options, if you read the FAQ at the top of this section you can figure out which option is best for.you. I went with Saginaw and am very happy.

What's your budget? Which do you have more of money or skill? What size tires will you be running?

...via IH8MUD app

You need to research. Briefly, you have three main options.
1 mini truck ps box
2 FJ60 box
3 Saginaw box

They all install differently and have pros and cons depending on how you will use your truck.

I also run a 40turn Saginaw power steering setup, from 76-ish Jeep J20 pickup. It works almost too well - I can steer the truck with one pinky. It feels a little too light on pavement, but will turn just about every size tire you can fit under a 40. The mini truck set-up is a little less "boosted" and is really only adequate for 33" tires and smaller. As others have said - there is a ton of information in the FAQ section regarding each swap, how its done, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Another thing that may be a deal-breaker for some is that you have to drill a rather large hole through your front frame crossmember to mount the saginaw box. This requires the hole to be sleeved, and reinforcing plates to be added to the frame horns. It's a powerful steering system, but significant metalwork/frame modifications are required.

None can be added "easily".... Some are easier than others. Research, as has been mentioned, is your job. I am partial to the Saginaw "Scout Box" as it is the only Saginaw box with the forward facing Pitman arm and mounts to frame behind the front crossmember...

Try out others' fj40s in the area if you have a chance. I have a Saginaw and its too light to me on the highway and I have the 4.25 box i think. Id prefer something with less boost. However rockcrawlers on this site or fellas with very large tires will prefer the Saginaw.

I did the mini-truck conversion first, but ran a lot of rocky trails and that did not cut the mustard with even 285/75-16's after three years. I decided to go with the least popular stronger option, the FJ60 gear, that allows for 4.5 turns to lock to lock. Definitely been much more relaxing on the trails and peace of mind when on the street/highway.:steer:

I decided to go with the least popular stronger option, the FJ60 gear,

Yes, leakier, more expensive. Harder to find parts for...shall I continue?

However rockcrawlers on this site or fellas with very large tires will prefer the Saginaw.

It is true, rockcrawlers or fellas with large tires prefer the Saginaw...

the wave.jpg

Pfft. Hasn't leaked a drop yet PH. I got a reman gear and it is clean.

Yes, leakier, more expensive. Harder to find parts for...shall I continue?

I've been very happy with my Saginaw. Its a pretty straight forward swap, lots of good write ups on here.

How large tires? Street, logging roads, serious rocks?

Minitruck - 31 max (generally... There are some exceptions) = Power Assist
60 or similar - stronger Assist.
Saginaw 4 turn - one or two fingers to turn 37s - sometimes to light
Scout II Saginaw - some argue not quite as strong as Saginaw 3/4 bolt box - two fingers with 37s - less frame cutting.

From what I've read, assist levels can be reduced by reducing pressure from pump in Saginaw setups. I'm collecting Scout II bits and will determine if it's overpowered when installed... I'd rather have overkill than underpowered when I've been loosing arm strength.

First, what are you 40's specs.? How hard do you drive it? Trail style, like me, or man style like pighead?

I have Scout ll with 2F /2 lockers/35 boggers and could use more when on tough trails. have 350/2 lockers/35 BFG MT with Scout ll- good most of the time. Never feels overpowered like an old Caddy to me. Have minitruck with 350/33s on street mostly-nice steering. Have 2F/manual/31s/western snowplow and only want to steer that one when on snow or moving=workout.

Yes, leakier,

Really, know of a bunch of Toyota boxes in the 200-300K mi range that have never been worked on and don't leak, Saginaw, not so much. Have had my share if both apart, both are good boxes, but I give the quality of design and build to Toyota, IMHO better box. Slight tip to Saginaw, for strength, but most don't need it.

more expensive.

We pay about the same for cores?

Harder to find parts for

Rock Auto lists 2 seal kits for the '60 and '80 boxes, 3 for the Saginaw, :meh: both readily available at ~ the same price.

...shall I continue?

If you like, some like chevy V8's some don't, same argument.:meh:

It is true, rockcrawlers or fellas with large tires prefer the Saginaw...

Some do some don't. I have been pushing 37"s/locked with an '80 box for a longtime, works well and it's a full size/weight wagon (LX450). Have only used the '80 box on '40's to 35"s/locked works great, for that even a good '60 box works well. For hardcore stuff. I will take hydro, makes the box irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom