Power steering problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our 93 leaks fluid from the power steering reservoir. It comes out under the lid when the engine has been turned on. This is been going on for a while and it's getting progressively worse. I've gotten different opinions about what's wrong with it but I could use some expert advice from you all here. It's steers fine as long as there is fluid in the system. The only other connected symptom is it clicks when the wheel is turned hard in either direction. It's been suggested that it needs a new rack and pinion or a new gearbox or a new pump. Ideas? I replaced the cap on the reservoir a couple years ago and that helped temporarily.

I've mentioned in other threads that we are thinking about selling this. We've had one person look at it and we're waiting to hear back from him but also thinking about holding it on to it ourselves. There doesn't seem to be anything else that really meets our needs.

Not saying this is what you have but, something to check. The Return hose from the reservoir to the pump.
The return hose from the reservoir can pull air when its running causing the fluid to foam.
The foam takes up space causing overflow. The pump draws real hard on the return system normally. This can happen with a line that has hardened with age or on some vehicles a seal or hose clamp and it may not leak when off. This usually pops up when someone removes the line then re-installs it.

I had this happen on an older Honda by just replacing the pump drive belt. By moving the pump to tighten the belt we disturbed the o-ring sealing the return line. This foamed and puked fluid horribly at idle. The o-ring itself never leaked when off.

Ive seen this on several different types of systems over my career. It normally occurs during driving with higher RPM's but, the Honda proved otherwise.

Last edited:
I have had similar problems recently with pump. I put Lucus power steering stop leak in it and it has worked for me. See their guarantee.

Not saying this is what you have but, something to check. The Return hose from the reservoir to the pump.
The return hose from the reservoir can pull air when its running causing the fluid to foam.
The foam takes up space causing overflow. The pump draws real hard on the return system normally. This can happen with a line that has hardened with age or on some vehicles a seal or hose clamp and it may not leak when off. This usually pops up when someone removes the line then re-installs it.

I had this happen on an older Honda by just replacing the pump drive belt. By moving the pump to tighten the belt we disturbed the o-ring sealing the return line. This foamed and puked fluid horribly at idle. The o-ring itself never leaked when off.

Ive seen this on several different types of systems over my career. It normally occurs during driving with higher RPM's but, the Honda proved otherwise.

This seems like a possibility! What's the best way to go about checking this and possibly correcting it?

I don't know how bad your leak is, but there's a thread with a part number out there somewhere that has the part number for the ps reservoir cap gasket. Look for it and try that first because that'll be your cheapest fix.

Also, you don't have a rack and pinion in the truck.

The best way is to see if your hoses from the reservoir are old or if the clamps are loose. An older dry hose wont form fit and make a tight seal when the clamps are tight.

Power steering systems can push 2-5 GPM with 300-800 psi at idle (generally speaking, don't remember the cruiser spec). That creates a real hard suction on the return line. This is how it pulls air.

The best way is to see if your hoses from the reservoir are old or if the clamps are loose. An older dry hose wont form fit and make a tight seal when the clamps are tight.

Power steering systems can push 2-5 GPM with 300-800 psi at idle (generally speaking, don't remember the cruiser spec). That creates a real hard suction on the return line. This is how it pulls air.
Thanks very much!

Our 93 leaks fluid from the power steering reservoir. It comes out under the lid when the engine has been turned on. This is been going on for a while and it's getting progressively worse. I've gotten different opinions about what's wrong with it but I could use some expert advice from you all here. It's steers fine as long as there is fluid in the system. The only other connected symptom is it clicks when the wheel is turned hard in either direction. It's been suggested that it needs a new rack and pinion or a new gearbox or a new pump. Ideas? I replaced the cap on the reservoir a couple years ago and that helped temporarily.

If it's not leaking anywhere else, I would evaluate for contaminated fluid, if so, flush it out and see how it works with fresh. Our experience shows, power steering or hydraulic fluid, our favorite Mobil DTE light, works better than ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom