Power steering conversion 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I take a factory 1979 power steering pump and gearbox and bolt it right up where the manual steering unit is on my FJ40? OR are there major modifications required to go from manual steering to power steering. Has anyone done this before? Any advice would be appreciated!

"Can I do this ..." power steering questions seem to come up a lot. So much so, that there's a post in the FAQs just for the topic. Good place to start.

If the engine is earlier than 1/79 it will not have the thread holes used to mount the factory power steering pump on a US market 2F. it mounts on top of the air pump.

If the engine is earlier than 1/79 it will not have the thread holes used to mount the factory power steering pump on a US market 2F. it mounts on top of the air pump.
The trick is to use a 3F/3FE pump and mount the alternator on the lower driver side using the F or 3FE alternator bracket. Use the latest 3FE bracket and you could use the big 80amp alternator too.

The non ps shafts can be cut down to fit but some jurisdictions don't allow welded steering components.

The trick is to use a 3F/3FE pump and mount the alternator on the lower driver side using the F or 3FE alternator bracket. Use the latest 3FE bracket and you could use the big 80amp alternator too.

I actually picked this late 83 2F in Australia for a price to cheap to pass up. Alternator is already in the correct location. Have a spare 3FE with a power steering pump.
P1060954.JPG
P1060953.JPG

P1060953.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom