Powder Coating Colors (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im curious are you all doing these smaller parts at home, or are you taking them somewhere to be done. Im considering buying the Eastman powder coating gun, getting a cheap oven, and wondering how forgiving the process is. It looks relatively easy, looks like there is a learning curve but maybe not to steep of one?

It looks like Vegas Gold is a god choice for the pewter pieces. What color black do you all like for black trim pieces?
I take my stuff to a shop.

The Eastman's kit is great......

Thanks FJROSS that's exactly what I was looking for, I have the 40 plus a bunch of other projects that need coating so this option seems ideal!

Anyone have a line on a Black trim color that would match?

Curious... anyone have a powder coat color for the seat backs in the later 40's? It is a flat grey color. I also think the roll bar and some of the fold-down seat frame parts are the same, depending on the year.
I wonder if you would be wrong to do them in the same Vegas Gold that Oregon FJ shows in post 10 above? Especially if you are doing them all.... But if you are matching other existing pieces, that won't work.

For FYI sake, I got a sample of the Prismatic color Galaxy Grey III, and compared to OEM pewter color, it is WAAAY darker. I'm going with the Vegas Gold for my parts.

Thank you @GA Architect and @oregon fj for confirming this color match (and Oregon fj, 2nd time today we have come across each other - first your great reflective rear sill TOYOTA stickers, and now this!).

IMG_7074.JPG
IMG_7075.JPG

Still looking for information on black powder to use on trim parts. Anyone got any ideas?
I had my Con-Ferr roll bar coated satin black. The powder folks just called it "30% gloss". It came out really nice, looks very much like an OEM finish.

I would not use the "GM Silver" simply because it says GM :skull:

@Vae Victus Looks nice to me, is it too shiny or does it sorta match the glaze on seat brackets? Does the color seem to match well, glossyness aside?

What sorta setup are you using, looks like you may be at home doing this?

@Vae Victus Looks nice to me, is it too shiny or does it sorta match the glaze on seat brackets? Does the color seem to match well, glossyness aside?

What sorta setup are you using, looks like you may be at home doing this?
I like the gloss - is a little glossier than factory probably but I don't have anything to compare it to. My truck was so dirty and rusty that I'm guessing. The black is just that - black. Color is dead on.

I'm using the Eastwood dual voltage gun, and an oven I just found for $25 in someone's garage.

Too early to have an opinion on the gun but I'm excited to be able to do this at home.

Now I have to blast and coat a lot of painted parts that were "done" but that is ok.

Last edited:
Here are the photos from @GA Architect 's parts he sent me vs the factory bumper and factory glove box paint. Looks very close in the garage lighting that I had. Maybe a little more gold than OEM but very close. Flash makes it look much more different than with the eye.

020BEE0A-7E78-4231-9F53-8A81F47DB6B4.jpeg
9461DA9B-27DA-4DA9-A558-0BE670B19CB4.jpeg
72B22E85-B06F-4B6B-8C87-32122504A4A9.jpeg
748A3E58-844E-4D55-942B-2357C6305E16.jpeg
2B452F06-CC26-44D1-B0FA-F8766ACFE7C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome this is exactly what I was hoping you would say. I just ordered that same dual voltage gun and accessory kit and im going to be ordering powders here shortly. Good to know the Vegas gold works so well, and great now to have a back to order too. Im brand new to this process and will be getting a oven from a friend, Its nice to hear about someone trying and being successful at the same thing.

I liked this guys video by the way, some good tips about coating at home.

How did you go with your Dual Voltage Gun ? are you happy with the results ?

Thank you for all this great information!
I want to have my 1980 FJ-40 bezel and rims coated white. Any suggestions on a color?
Thank you in advance!
Peter
Did anyone every answer your question about the headlight bezel PC color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom