Possibly buying my first 100 and need a little help with body rust... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to Yota 4x4's. I have had Chevy's and I have a '75 Scout II. I found a '98 Cruiser (going to be family adventure wagon - wife /2 kids/dog) that was originally titled in New Jersey... I know salt belt...I had the owner send some undercarriage photos. I am having trouble distinguishing whether or not this is too much rust... I live in Charleston SC and have never had problems with rust (the Scout has some from PO driving it on the beach mainly leafs and rear drums). Anyway, I am going to post a couple of the better photos that he sent and would appreciate the input from some of you vets. Thanks in advance.

21449l4.jpg

2i7mxqc.jpg

2en0t5d.jpg

I know they aren't the best photos in the world, but they are really all I have to go on and it was like pulling teeth to get these. I have gotten him down to 7500 for it, but don't want to deal with a ton of rust repair either. It only has 120,000 miles, but very limited maintenance records. I am very iffy right now and my gut is telling me to look elsewhere for now... am I worried for nothing?

What rust? Looks pretty good. I'd jump on it quick because that's a pretty good price for the miles. 120k is nothing even for "neglected" maintainance. Unless it's been really abused, it probably would just need all fluids and filters changed, timing belt/waterpump, maybe a couple other little things, but it should be pretty solid with those miles. And remember, it's practically 20 years old and ain't gonna be prefect but she'll go the distance if you treat her right from here out.

From what I see, I wouldn't let rust be the deciding factor. The lack of maintenance records, mis-matched front/rear tires, and your gut reaction about the whole thing may indicate a sloppy, uncaring owner. Cheap is not necessarily a bargain. That said, these are tough vehicles and if you can invest in a complete PM like @AMGAndrew suggested and new tires and a complete cleaning in/out, you could have a vehicle ready for another 120,000 miles. Clean Carfax?

I also don't think the rust looks that bad at all. If you plan on using the parking brake for anything, do plan on a full overhaul of that system. Seems to be a real weak point on these trucks and the parts are surprisingly expensive. The main pivot points for the bell cranks are made of cast pot metal and just seem to dissolve over time.

While perusing the interior photographs this A.M. I noticed that there is a bit of a size/fit difference with the cluster... has anyone had something similar happen? Easily fixable? Doctoring the mileage with a junkyard cluster? I haven't pulled the car fax and seller told me he was missing 4 pieces of trim (that are all easy and inexpensive to replace). That dash and cluster feels iffy though...

10fvu6f.jpg

Thanks again for all the help and responses!

The cluster is correct for the truck. It appears the dash pad is bent upward for some reason, not missing a piece of trim. I cannot think of a way to bend the dash pad in such a way from normal use. I bet the interior of that rig is dingy and neglected since it has missing trim pieces and the dash pad is beat up.

If you are concerned about the mileage and/or maintenance, set up an account at Toyota Owners Official Web Site and plug in the VIN. A carfax report would also uncover some mysteries for you.

That could be a great Cruiser or a nightmare. Only you can decide if it's right for you. Me? I would go and inspect it in person, with cash in my pocket.

I would look at the car since the price is good, but I would want to know trim are missing, and why. The piece around the gauge should not come off unless someone tried to get the gauge cluster out. It could be just trying to replace burnt bulbs, but it should snap back instead of leaving a gap there. I had mine off before and everything are fitted back perfectly. If the dash pad is bent upward, I am not sure why it would be like that. Maybe they tried to get the cluster out and bent the dash to make more room?

Make sure the CEL is working too - I think it is on when you turn the key to ON, but it should turn off when you start it (My car is not with me at the moment so I can not check) It could be they pull out the bulb to hide the light. If you have a scanner I would see if it has error code. You can also just take it to local auto part store and ask them to scan it. Good luck!

@KTeamLSU former Charleston resident here; make sure to link up with the Low Country Land Cruiser club. Great group of guys with lots of knowledge of all series of land cruisers. They are pretty active on the club sub-forum here on Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom