Possible Starter Problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy y'all!

A few days ago I went to try to start my car (it's my daily, probably sat for a day?), had power and everything, I went to turn the key and nothing. No click, power is gone, no sound.

So I look up some stuff saying it could be a starter problem so I get parts to replace within in, I get my battery checked and it's all good. I check connectors and they seem great. I think the one thing I didn't look at was the connections to the starter. It's pretty dirty down there with leftover mud lol.

Anyways, is there something I'm missing here guys?

Thanks, guys!

Usually, if the starter is bad it will still after waiting a while and several tries. Some have tapped it with a hammer to get it going. If that happens, it's probably the starter contacts.

Otherwise you can follow the trouble shooting procedures here:

Usually, if the starter is bad it will still after waiting a while and several tries. Some have tapped it with a hammer to get it going. If that happens, it's probably the starter contacts.

Otherwise you can follow the trouble shooting procedures here:

I'll try a hammer next time I'm under there. He mentions the AM1 50a fuse, and I have something similar. Meaning all lights and power turn on, but again die as soon as I turn the key. Would this fuse cause this much problems? Is it worth replacing just to check or should I continue on my path of rebuilding the starter?

If you have power then it cuts out instantaneously as your turn the ignition i'd check again that your battery cables are snug, or if you have one of the dealer installed alarms, it may be malfunctioning and causing the ignition kill.

Yep, if all power cuts then it's not your starter. I'd recheck all your battery cables again first as mentioned above.

Does power return when you stop trying to start? What voltage are you getting at the battery before you try to start and what is it as you are trying to start?

Does power return when you stop trying to start? What voltage are you getting at the battery before you try to start and what is it as you are trying to start?

It returns but some time later. I haven't timed it but I have noticed that after I go bang my head on the wall, it comes back. All I got was a "good battery" when I went to get it tested, I haven't tested it while trying to start.

I was experiencing this issue. Changed fusible links and haven’t had an issue since.

Do you have a voltmeter, if so, what is the battery resting voltage and what is it when attempting to start?

I was experiencing this issue. Changed fusible links and haven’t had an issue since.
This is on my list this weekend or if I have time after work the next few days. I'm new to this kind of stuff, I'll admit, how hard could it be to change the fusible links? Sorry, not well versed in this kind of lingo.

Extremely easy to do, this is what you need (link below), comes off your battery and through the battery box. Requires removing like two nuts then replacing the links and reattaching. The search function on the forum should be able to help you with lingo, parts, and a wealth of info, Also be sure to read through the FAQ section lots of good info on common issues and diagnostics.

Fuseable Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser --- Joey is a big supporter of the Land Cruiser community, should also be available at your Toyota parts store

Check the NSS Plug underneath. Its normally a bitch to remove. Clean it! Other times move the shifter through its range, try starting in N then a hard shift into P....other times an oversteer left or right causes a gremlin.
NSS
Straight steering
Shift through gears
Cycle key it eventually should start.

This is on my list this weekend or if I have time after work the next few days. I'm new to this kind of stuff, I'll admit, how hard could it be to change the fusible links? Sorry, not well versed in this kind of lingo.
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom