Portsmouth Island Trip - November 20-23 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here's the low-down on Portsmouth Island in the southern outer banks... Adam had a trip to Portsmouth Island, NC (PI) on the event calendar for Nov but it's been cancelled. I was interested in going on the PI trip so while I was in Atlantic Beach last week i took a day trip to PI to scope it out and see if the trip can be resurrected.

PI is a rugged island. There are two things available on the island and are sold by the park service: $5/gal gas and ice. Everything else you need for the weekend will have to be brought in and packed out. I'm guess ing packing a few beer, water and food coolers per truck should be adequate. There is cell service on the island. I have verizon and between 1 and 3 bars LTE while out there.

To get to PI from Charlotte it's 345 miles and 178 miles from Raleigh.

The actual point for meeting up is the Morris Marina in Atlantic, NC. It's there we will make arrangements for the ferry to take us and the trucks over and when we want them to pick us up for the return ride. There is a small diner with breakfast and lunch where we can grab a bite before heading over.

Morris Marina Kabin Kamps & Ferry Service, Inc.
1000 Morris Marina Rd.
Atlantic, North Carolina 28511
Phone: (252) 225-4261
Fax: (252) 225-0366
Email: info@portsmouthislandfishing.com
http://www.portsmouthislandfishing.com

$75 round trip vehicle including 1 driver
$14 round trip per person (6 yrs old +)

The ferry ride from the marina to PI takes 30-45 mins. Once docked at PI the trucks drive off the ferry and are free to drive anywhere on the 22 mile long island that is between 1/2 mile and 1 mile wide. The only exception would be areas that have been closed for birds or turtles but the forest ranger on PI said everything should be opened back up in Nov.

For sleeping arrangements we have a couple options:
1) The National Park Service for the Cape Lookout National Seashore rents duplex cabins. Most have A/C. They sleep 6 people in bunk beds, have electricity and propane stoves.
2) Camping is available anywhere on the beach but has to be 100 yards from the cabins or of course you can sleep in your truck.

Fires are allowed on the beach. We'll need to bring our own firewood.

I'm thinking of a Thu through Sun trip. Meet Thu, catch the ferry to PI, set up camp, drive around for a while then head back to cook dinner. On Fri we can explore more of the island, surf fish (Nov is supposed to have some of the best fishing on the Atlantic Coast for Blue, Cobia, and Drum), kayak, hang in the beach and drink beer, and/or visit the village. We can catch the ferry back on Sat and stay somewhere else Sat night or we can do more of the same we did Fri and head out Sun.

There are some pics of the cabins on this website:
http://myoncell.mobi/stops.php?acct_num=12528387052&stop=106&done=done#&ui-state=dialog

Let me know if there is any interest and we can firm up the stuff later.

Participant list:
@JohnVee (John) Fri 1pm ferry from marina to PI; Sun 11.45am ferry from PI to marina
@FJ Junkie (Sarah) Fri 1pm ferry from marina to PI; Sun 11.45am ferry from PI to marina
@forrest5000 (Eric) Fri 1pm ferry from marina to PI; Sun 11.45am ferry from PI to marina
@GLTHFJ60 (Johnny) Fri 1pm ferry from marina to PI; Sun 11.45am ferry from PI to marina
@custyota (Adam +1)
@77 KROOZER (Mike and Marie) Fri 1pm ferry from marina to PI; Sun 11.45am ferry from PI to marina

image.jpg

Last edited:
Are you still thinking November for this trip? Give me a date (weekend) and I'll put it back up on the website!!!

Beach camping is something I want to do much more of. This would be a great post-CCLR event to wrap up the wheeling season with :D

Last edited:
when was the original trip canceled??

When meatball said that he never volunteered to organize, only to offer it as an idea.

well I have PMs and Facebook messages that say otherwise but if he no longer wants to run point and Sarah does that's fine by me.

Sarah I :grinpimp:know of a few people that were planning on this trip so have at it

Sarah thanks for all the info on this. The low down is great. You can count me and Andrea as going right now.

How about the weekend before Thanksgiving Nov 20-23 (Thu-Sun)? As an alternate date I can make the weekend of Nov 13-16 work if more people can go that weekend.

5 have signed up. Here's the participant list:

JohnVee and FJ Junkie (John and Sarah)
lt1fire (Al and Andrea)
GLTHFJ60 (Johnny)

Last edited:
I cannot edit my original post so here is some new/updated info...

1) In my original post, I had a link to a website with pics if the cabin. That should only be used for pics. This is the official website for the cabins and has a lot more info.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/l...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72363

I love the idea of camping on the beach and don't plan on renting a cabin. I figure I'll let anyone who wants to rent do it on their own. Maybe those renting can coordinate and rent the same duplex or at least rent ones that are close together.

PI is really windy and we'll need some good sand tent stakes or sand bags if we are beach camping.

2) Since PI is a rugged island it requires complete self-sufficiency, i.e. cooking all food, no electricity, catholes, pack everything in and everything out, etc. Regarding the catholes, there are dunes for privacy.

3) If we visit the village, established in 1753, there is a half mile drive through 12" deep water/marsh. I think it sounds exciting but the local I talked to says it weirds a lot of people out.

Per the National Park Service website: "Exhibits on "lightering", community life, and survival in this village can be seen in the Theodore and Annie Salter House and Visitor Center, the School, the Post Office and General Store, and the Life-Saving Station." These are historic buildings and not actually in operation.

Oh hell yeah this sounds like fun. Been to cape lookout several times but never Portsmouth. Will have to reschedule some things to see if I can make it that weekend. Will do my best.

I'm going try to make this .

My pops is getting married in November. I need to find out when that's happening before I can commit.

EDIT: Pops is getting married the week of the 8th, so I'm good. I'd prefer the weekend before Turkey Day.

I've been begging for this trip also, I'm in with the caveat of getting free on Friday so I can enjoy the whole weekend.

I'm also looking at the weekend before Thanksgiving (Nov 21-23), although my basketball team's schedules are not out yet, that weekend has typically been an away tournament.

I just did a quick search, plenty of cabins available now ($145/night) for those who want to come but not camp and/or use for a "base" having running water/bathrooms/6 beds, just in case.

If we can make a commitment early, I can at least arrange a fill-in for me in the event the team schedules conflict with my desire to get a long weekend in...

Portsmouth is a fun trip for sure. Morris marina in atlantic nc is a private ferry vs state run and last time we were there he said he could do a group rate taking us across if we fill up the ferry. Really cool guys and have taken the ncfj group over a couple times.

Youll actually want some wind as the bugs get intense around dusk and through the eve. The water fording has nothing on the bugs at the village though. INSANE!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I did a trip out there in April with a Group from Expedition Portal and it was a real blast! I don't recall seeing gas for sale, but I did hear about ice.

We went out on a Friday and came back Monday... Kara at the Morris ferry was super nice and accommodating to our needs as I was towing ny adventure trailer behind the 100

Picture of base camp with view of Ryan's killer Jeep. (He's been converted an just purchased a 100 series)
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401243725.520220.jpg

All the gear in action
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401243806.654437.jpg

Sunrise. Can't beat this with a stick.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401243879.255568.jpg

I emailed Kari with the marina and they don't offer group discounts.

I also asked about the number of trucks that can fit on a ferry. Here is her reply:
"Depends on the vehicle sizes as to how many we can take, for instance 8 FJ Cruisers or Wranglers(2 door) and 5 F150s only because they are longer...so you tell me what you have and we will go from there..."

Sounds like when we get some firm commitments we can start reserving spaces/times on the ferry.

I say the firm committment starts with 8 trucks willing to pay for the ferry up front (and reserve the date)... If you back out, you either sell your spot or eat the $75...

good plan... but you don't pay until you get back!

I'm good with paying up front. I called Kari a min ago to reserve my spot and she was out on the island and could not make the reservation.

I'll call her back tonight or tomorrow and work with her for the timing if the ferry and let y'all know what I reserve. I'm going to shoot for a noon ferry out to PI on Thu the 20th and a noon ferry off PI on Sun the 23rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom