POP QUIZ: Help me identify the missing bolts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SEAWOLF

GOLD Star
Threads
So I was cleaning (simple green) the underside of my transmission and transfer case (83 FJ60), trying to remove the road debris caked up in leaking fluid. I noticed that several (3 I believe) bolts were missing from a 'cover' that is just ahead of the T/TC. Wondering if anyone can tell me, A. What it is? B. Is it causing my leak? and C. What bolts do I need to replace, is there a gasket to replace, etc.?

IMG_8442 2.JPG

IMG_8439 2.JPG

IMG_8440.JPG

IMG_8441.JPG

Flywheel cover. Mine is missing about half of those... and there's a funky rubbery gasket in sections along the edges. Regarding leaks... mine is significant there too. I don't want to face that repair right now...

Those are just M8-1.25 bolts for the clutch inspection cover you can find at any hardware store. Toyota actually still sells those bolts too (with captive washers)
PN: 91611-60814

The cover isn't supposed to seal in oil. It actually has a drain hole you can see. The oil is coming either from the rear main seal, oil pan gasket leak, side cover leak or transmission bearing retainer gasket. All normal for an old cruiser.

Notice that there's no rust? That's the Plus to having oil weeps. Stop all the oil leaks & you'll start getting rust.

Just use self adhesive foam strips to make a new gasket.

Last edited:
Thanks @Output Shaft

The oil pan and the side cover leak some, going to address that soon...

Most of the leaked fluid is red, so I'm going to look at/research the bearing retainer gasket. Thanks for the heads up!

Going to order that foam when I order the vacuum lines.

It also helps that this 60 is from TX/AZ and the red is desert dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom