Builds PNW 2016 GX460 Premium Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My journey here started ironically with almost buying @nw_fj62's 100-series as he had recently bought a 2013 GX460. After talking to him about his plans, I ended up convincing myself to follow suit and bought a 2016 GX460 Premium in Jan 2020. I purchased it while visiting family over the holidays in Dallas -- 2016 GX460 Premium w/ 80k miles and all manufacturer recommended services done at Park Place Lexus -- and canceled my return flight to drive it back home to Seattle.

The main purpose of this build will be to enable my wife and I to travel and explore more of the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I hope to use this thread as a way to share my progress and hopefully give some ideas as others have given to me through their builds.

6F1D7710-BE06-457E-A0FE-E57337037F55.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_1742.jpeg

At this point, I've completed or started some major parts of my build plan so will catch you up on what I've done.

I planned my drive from Dallas to Seattle to avoid mountain passes as it was still winter and the short route would've had me go through Utah and Idaho. I ended up taking US-40 all the way to California and then went straight north on I-5. On the way, I picked up a used set of TRD Pro wheels and took advantage of Oregon's no sales tax to wrap them with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 snow tires -- I'll be running these as a dedicated set of winter tires for the ski season.

IMG_1777.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 10.17.33 PM.png

I also got a great deal on a barely used Dobinson's suspension setup from @crikeymike. It ended up netting me 2.5" front & rear, and the SPC UCA's helped get the alignment all buttoned up.

60556663454__7DEC8070-B96D-419D-9A42-834296427F71.jpeg

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2103.jpeg

I've listed below a couple of other projects that I've completed but won't spend time going over. I'm more than happy to provide my feedback if there are any specific questions about these:
  • Magnaflow 1126 muffler swap
  • Pedal Commander PC27 to improve throttle response
  • Raingler ceiling net
  • Husky WeatherBeater floor liners

Last edited:
With downtime due to COVID-19 and summer rolling around soon, I decided to work with @cruzerDave and his newly designed Reef drawer system. I'll be sharing my R&D notes with him to see if we can modify his 80/100/200-series based platform to work on the 150 series. A sneak peek of the progress below, and I hope to help Dave get these to production.

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2482.jpeg

Last edited:
Funny - I didn't make the connection to your Jumbo76 here. I'm glad the 460 is suiting you and and look forward to hearing how the Nokian's do in snow (perhaps next winter!). I took down the chrome level on my truck with a good local guy - PM me if you'd like the contact. Glad you've removed the third row and working to increase utility. I decided on a cargo deck (and some alu-boxes) as an alternate approach. I'll look forward to hearing how your build goes - perhaps we'll meet up for a pint sometime... Did we decide on Obec?

I made some more progress on the drawers yesterday. I wanted to make sure my rib system would allow the drawer base to sit flat so took the measure twice cut once approach. What I ended up with are three ribs of 2x3 plywood -- the rib closest to the door is sitting on top of 1/2" hobby wood, second rib is sitting on 1/4" hobby wood, and the third rib closest to the 2nd row is on the bare floor. I cut all three ribs to 40" but had to cut two of them at an angle in order to sit flush. I also cut some scrap wood to give more support between the first and second rib. I have sound deadener and insulation on the way to fill in around the floor as I plan to use the drawers as a part of a sleeping platform.

IMG_2484.jpeg

IMG_2485.jpeg

IMG_2487.jpeg

I test fit the drawer base and it fits perfectly from rear door to the back of the second row. I went into this knowing that the top of the Reef drawers "as-is" would hit the second row and that I'll need to do some cutting. It turns out the drawers themselves fit perfectly flush so all we had to do was cut 2" off the drawer top and two outer side pieces. We used a table saw for a clean cut and can confirm that it sits flush with the door closed. The one callout here is that it is flush to the rear door so I won't be able to add a rear door table unless I end up cutting more of the whole kit.

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

I haven't bolted anything down yet so can't confirm full functionality, but I feel pretty good about how it's turning out so far. Hopefully, I can wrap up this weekend and share final thoughts and pictures here.

I would be interested in the post muffler swap. Nice start!

One of the main reasons I chose the GX460 was because of the balance between OEM creature comforts and power. I realized that this also meant the stock exhaust system gives a muted "airy" sound, and I simply wanted more growl on start-up and acceleration. Ended up with the MagnaFlow 11226 and only did a muffler swap to keep the cat and resonator as designed.

This mod gives me most joy when driving out of all the mods so far even though it has little to zero utility. It lets you subtly know that the V8 is there, and there is no highway drone.

Funny - I didn't make the connection to your Jumbo76 here. I'm glad the 460 is suiting you and and look forward to hearing how the Nokian's do in snow (perhaps next winter!). I took down the chrome level on my truck with a good local guy - PM me if you'd like the contact. Glad you've removed the third row and working to increase utility. I decided on a cargo deck (and some alu-boxes) as an alternate approach. I'll look forward to hearing how your build goes - perhaps we'll meet up for a pint sometime... Did we decide on Obec?

We'll definitely have to grab a pint at Obec once things settle down here! I've kept an eye out when driving around Ballard but still have yet to see your GX.

I wasn't able to fully test the Nokian's performance with all of the passes closing so frequently this ski season, but they performed great the handful of times I was able to get them out there. I've also bookmarked and referenced your third row delete posts multiple times and will also be adding L-tracks like you did.

What are you going to use for the insulation/sound dampening material?

We'll definitely have to grab a pint at Obec once things settle down here! I've kept an eye out when driving around Ballard but still have yet to see your GX.

I wasn't able to fully test the Nokian's performance with all of the passes closing so frequently this ski season, but they performed great the handful of times I was able to get them out there. I've also bookmarked and referenced your third row delete posts multiple times and will also be adding L-tracks like you did.
The V8 and creature comforts are definitely a HUGE plus!! My wife and I just came back (yesterday) from a 6,700 mile trip from our home in San Clemente (1.5 hours from the Mexican border) all the way up to Maine, down the Eastern sea board to Virginia beach (did some driving on the beach also!) and then back west to home. Have to admit, the drive was AWESOME and my little Lexi (that's her name) ran absolutely PERFECT! Since I was on a time crunch we had to do the trip in 9 days, with one day covering over 1,000 miles! Cozy and comfortable the entire time!

Last edited:
Completed the drawers and cut out wings to give it all a nice finished look. I'm using plastic storage boxes inside the drawers to keep everything organized and rattle free.

IMG_2583.jpeg

Got a chance this past weekend to finally get out and camp near Naches, WA. I've been planning to use the drawers as part of a sleeping platform instead of a RTT or ground tent. It ended up working well with our Exped MegaMat Duo but the small ridge between the drawers and 2nd row when folded down was a bit too uncomfortable for our liking. Also being 6'2", my head would hang over the end of the seat not allowing me to fully stretch out.

I took some measurements once we got back and decided the simplest solution would be to prop up an extension. I cut two 26" x 38" pieces of 3/4" baltic birch and used the scrap to level & prop up the extensions. It seems to solve both of the main issues, and I'll use the L-track to tie them down when in transport.

61344022387__B159A034-3EB8-408D-ACD4-1C6E21C83F13.jpeg

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

At only 6'-0", I too had the problem of running out of head room sleeping in the back of my rig during a 5 day Army field exercise.
And I didn't have anything to level out the middle seats, but I was so tired at the end of each day, it didn't bother me.
Wish I hadn't taken my RTT off at the tme.

@Jumbo76 how did you secure the bottom lumber supports to the bare GX floor? I'm embarking on the same journey right now. I picked up a used set of Reef drawers out of a 200 series and working on adapting them into my 460.

@Jumbo76 how did you secure the bottom lumber supports to the bare GX floor? I'm embarking on the same journey right now. I picked up a used set of Reef drawers out of a 200 series and working on adapting them into my 460.

Congrats on snagging some Reef drawers! I know Dave has been getting a lot of attention across multiple platforms — glad to see more 460 folks.

I ended up using the 4 pre-tapped holes to secure the middle support and then used heavy duty double sided tape for the others. I then just drilled the Reef base into those supports. I’ve had zero squeaking or rattling with them so far.
4DF6657E-23D8-4EE8-B6B3-A8495188B7E6.jpeg

A4C16C20-12F8-461C-B83B-9C1867B3C396.jpeg

Congrats on snagging some Reef drawers! I know Dave has been getting a lot of attention across multiple platforms — glad to see more 460 folks.

I ended up using the 4 pre-tapped holes to secure the middle support and then used heavy duty double sided tape for the others. I then just drilled the Reef base into those supports. I’ve had zero squeaking or rattling with them so far.

Perfect and thanks for the quick response. That's exactly what I was thinking. That cross bar with the 4 bolts and washers will definitely be enough to act as an anchor point once the full setup is put together with wood screws. 3M tape should just keep everything stable as you bounce along the trails. I'll have to figure out to countersink the washers and bolt head inside the 2x4 though. Maybe just a couple incrementally sized hole saws and a chisel? Not really sure. What did you do there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom