Pllllllaaaaassssma! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was working on a steel project last night and said to myself many times, "I wish I had a plasma cutter right now". Congrats dude, that should be a sick tool to have.

Dylan

Well hey there STRANGER!
Where the FAWK have you been?
School beating you up this semester?

I have HIGH HOPES for this lil guy.

I saw that you were building a x member and skid plate for the rig!?

When are you wheelin again?
Cant WAIT for the "season".

K

Last edited:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
I have a bunch of 24"X24" steel plates I found in the desert.
Lets slice some up!

YEEEEEEES!
Ive got a bunch o scrap too. I hope to run it tonight!
Gotta get a few fittings from Homey depot to connect the filter, but after that, it seems like it is pretty straight forward.
Now ive gotta build ANOTHER cart...THE AGONY!!!

K

Keith,

Pics you requested, sorry for the delay. My unit sits on top of the MIG and works out well for me. Since I have only a single outlet, this makes it easy to plug in either appliance.

Ali
100_1565.jpg
100_1566.jpg

FWIW
I built a 220V extension cord (yeah, it's big) so I could pull 220V out to the driveway to keep the sparks out of the garage. I couldn't find the plugs to make it watertight however so no workee in rainee.

I have the material to make a splitter so I don't have to keep switching from plasma to welder just haven't done that yet (remember the on/off switch is broke so until I fix that I have to unplug plasma anyway).

Last summer I put in 220 (and compressed air) to the back of my property so I can pull the horse or flatbed trailer right up and weld/cut/work without interfering with the garage. Eventually - I was hoping this year, but not looking that way - I plan on putting in a concrete slab and lift (or tunnel) with a 12ft ceilinged lean-to back there. But I digress...

Well hey there STRANGER!
Where the FAWK have you been?
School beating you up this semester?

I have HIGH HOPES for this lil guy.

I saw that you were building a x member and skid plate for the rig!?

When are you wheelin again?
Cant WAIT for the "season".

K

Haha.

Hi my name is Dylan and this is my first time posting here. I drive a SOA 60 series, can I wheel with you? :flipoff2: School isn't horrible this semester compared to last semester, but I am busy with other crap. Dude, having the plasma is going to easily cut done your fab time by half! I hope to wheel as soon as possible, lets go!!!

Dylan

FWIW
I built a 220V extension cord (yeah, it's big) so I could pull 220V out to the driveway to keep the sparks out of the garage. I couldn't find the plugs to make it watertight however so no workee in rainee.

I have the material to make a splitter so I don't have to keep switching from plasma to welder just haven't done that yet (remember the on/off switch is broke so until I fix that I have to unplug plasma anyway).

Last summer I put in 220 (and compressed air) to the back of my property so I can pull the horse or flatbed trailer right up and weld/cut/work without interfering with the garage. Eventually - I was hoping this year, but not looking that way - I plan on putting in a concrete slab and lift (or tunnel) with a 12ft ceilinged lean-to back there. But I digress...

Did you notice a power drop through the extension cord?
I was wanting to do something like that, but...didnt really know where to begin.

Haha.

Hi my name is Dylan and this is my first time posting here. I drive a SOA 60 series, can I wheel with you? :flipoff2: School isn't horrible this semester compared to last semester, but I am busy with other crap. Dude, having the plasma is going to easily cut done your fab time by half! I hope to wheel as soon as possible, lets go!!!

Dylan

Im ready!
I havent done a thing to the rig, so its up and running, rarin to go.
Seriously...did you get a GIRLFRIEND or something?:D:flipoff2:
You just fell off the face of the earth there for a while.
Its good to see you back on here. I MISSED YOU!:crybaby:

K

IT WORKS!!!!
Got the fittings to plumb it in from home depot. Not the final set up by any means, but I HAD to try it out.
I couldnt quite figure it out at first...
It would ignite, then stop.
So I checked all the connections (pull em off, put em back on), then I realized that you MIGHT need to strike the nozzle to get it to ground. I was holding the nozzle OFF the material. I touched the nozzle to the steel, and off she went!
That MO FO just RIPS that SH*T!
It is way impressive.
I only did a couple of cuts with it. Im gonna have to find a way to make a guide to get the cuts straight, but its fricking bad ass!
I will need some practice though.

K

hmm, that's odd, you shouldn't need to touch the material to strike an arc. Perhaps your unit is different? If I don't get an arc that can cut, that usually means that I'm too far way from the work or the ground is poor.

Cut away dude. When we go to Reno in the new few weeks, I'm gonna have to check it out!

Oh yeah, use both hands to cut: one to support, one doing the moving of the nozzle.

hmm, that's odd, you shouldn't need to touch the material to strike an arc. Perhaps your unit is different? If I don't get an arc that can cut, that usually means that I'm too far way from the work or the ground is poor.

Cut away dude. When we go to Reno in the new few weeks, I'm gonna have to check it out!

Oh yeah, use both hands to cut: one to support, one doing the moving of the nozzle.

I think that MIGHT be the case with mine. I was worried that the unit was damaged.
I didnt have the opportunity to screw with it anymore today, but Ill have ample time tomorrow.
Thanks for hooking up those pics Ali.
I appreciate it.
I ended up using hard line for now till I can build a cart and hard mount the filter ON the cart.

Oh the joys of steel work.
It TRULY is a GIFT to not only have the means to CUT steel, but also adjoin back together.

Welding is HANDS DOWN the most USEFUL SKILL that Ive learned...aside from my nursing training of course.

K

Got the plasma situated in its new home.
Started to build a cart for it, then I realized that I could just stick it under the welder on that cart.
I at least got to practice with the plasma. I made the bracket for the filter with it, and I got about half way finished with the other cart before I realized the alternative.

K
cart 007.jpg
cart 009.jpg
cart 008.jpg

KEWL!!!!

now set the timer on your camera and take some action shots. :grinpimp:

KEWL!!!!

now set the timer on your camera and take some action shots. :grinpimp:

:lol:

It'd never work...
When im working, I work with BLINDING SPEED and precision, far too fast for the average POLAROID to capture.

My camera phone does the job! :grinpimp:

Maybe I just like pictures with blinding blue-ish lights!
n681261299_1976579_7009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom