Pllllllaaaaassssma! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

<Once I get one down, a second on a 40 should go easier...>

Use paperboard cutups as templates and you'll be kicking them out.

And Ali is correct, you need a filter/desiccant can on the input. You don't want water (steam) blowing into you.

You don't have to scrape paint off like you do when you weld. The exception is where you start will need ground to arc to. The plasma will burn through several layers of paint/rust just fine.

Congratulations.
I love my plasma cutter. It was laughable at how easy it is to use. Ali is spot on with a filter system. You'll notice a big difference in the quality of the cuts with a filter system.

Congrats Keith, that's a worthwhile purchase for sure! I sure love mine and can't live w/o it. Anything from steel to SS to ALUM, it cuts like butta!!

The "sharpness" of the arc is really influenced by the quality of the air going into the unit. Something like this is what I have on the back of the unit: PLASMA CUTTER AIR FILTER MOTOR GUARD M-26 MOTM26 JLMM26 - eBay (item 250298894187 end time Feb-19-09 20:07:07 PST)

This will extend the life of your nozzle too.

Have fun!

Congratulations.
I love my plasma cutter. It was laughable at how easy it is to use. Ali is spot on with a filter system. You'll notice a big difference in the quality of the cuts with a filter system.

X3. I have two friends with the same cutter, one has the filter and one doesn't. The filtered one works much better.

Jack

Thanks for that tip on the filter gents!
Ill have to look into that for sure.
I didnt think about that, but it makes total sense.

K

<Once I get one down, a second on a 40 should go easier...>

Use paperboard cutups as templates and you'll be kicking them out.

And Ali is correct, you need a filter/desiccant can on the input. You don't want water (steam) blowing into you.

You don't have to scrape paint off like you do when you weld. The exception is where you start will need ground to arc to. The plasma will burn through several layers of paint/rust just fine.

Where might one find paperboard?
Ive seen this on the 60's board...A guy on there built a bumper using that as a template...well, something like it.

K

Where might one find paperboard?
Ive seen this on the 60's board...A guy on there built a bumper using that as a template...well, something like it.

K

Any art supply store. I've bought mine from Oakman's on Wells & Ryland...but I haven't been in there in some time.

Would this work?
I was looking locally, as Id like to NOT have to wait for another shipment...
I feel like that is all Ive been doing lately (Ruger firearms, Advance adapters and Downey)...

K

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=SUM-901020&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Umm, I guess so. I was hoping for a higher quality unit like I posted. You can buy those locally, perhaps at a welding store? Anywhere where plasma cutters are sold, like Miller orLincoln stores or even an Airgas branch store, you should be able to find a canister filter.

Don't cheap out on me now..:flipoff2:

Umm, I guess so. I was hoping for a higher quality unit like I posted. You can buy those locally, perhaps at a welding store? Anywhere where plasma cutters are sold, like Miller orLincoln stores or even an Airgas branch store, you should be able to find a canister filter.

Hmmm...you are sounding like an oxymoron here :flipoff2:

Ali,
Can you get a few shots of how yours is plumed in?
There is Sierra welding supply where I get stuff that I need. I can check there. I was just referencing for places that are local. Summit is just on the other side of town from me.
What does the canister do for you?

K

Wally Mart has the smaller paperboard I tend to use. I can tape a couple pieces together and then I also have hinges to fold and stuff it away easier. But the better stuff is at art suppliers, and framing shops will use it for backer board.

Harbor Freight also has filters for about $25 that's a bit more centrally located.

Ali,
Can you get a few shots of how yours is plumed in?
There is Sierra welding supply where I get stuff that I need. I can check there. I was just referencing for places that are local. Summit is just on the other side of town from me.
What does the canister do for you?

K

We have an Airgas and Praxair in town too. Both are not to far from Sierra Welding. :steer:

We have an Airgas and Praxair in town too. Both are not to far from Sierra Welding. :steer:
Other than CO2 Sierra welding has been better on price every time I checked. Just ask for a discount.

I get CO2 at Praxair.

Wally Mart has the smaller paperboard I tend to use. I can tape a couple pieces together and then I also have hinges to fold and stuff it away easier. But the better stuff is at art suppliers, and framing shops will use it for backer board.

Harbor Freight also has filters for about $25 that's a bit more centrally located.

Great suggestions on BOTH!
I LOVE HF. I know its not the preferred choice for stuff by most, but Ive done some pretty amazing stuff with their gear.
Ill check at wal mart for that board...Its pretty much gonna be disposed of afterward, so...
Unless I get a great template then Ill keep it for others.

thanks!

K

Great suggestions on BOTH!
I LOVE HF. I know its not the preferred choice for stuff by most, but Ive done some pretty amazing stuff with their gear.
Ill check at wal mart for that board...Its pretty much gonna be disposed of afterward, so...
Unless I get a great template then Ill keep it for others.

thanks!

K
When I did a lot of wood working I'd make poster board templates. If I did something I thought I'd want more of I would make a master out of 1/8 hard board.

<When I did a lot of wood working I'd make poster board templates. If I did something I thought I'd want more of I would make a master out of 1/8 hard board.>

Good idea. You can then stain the pieces and hang them in the bedroom as art:)

So I picked up the filter that Ali had posted up...Motorcraft.
Got it from Sierra Welding supply for 79 bucks.
Good to go!

K

I GOT IT!!!
I GOT IT!!!
I GOT IT!!!

:bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2::bounce2:

I unpacked it, but Im just too smoked to try it.
It was a LOOOOOONG F'ING DAY!

Ill post up when I do!

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom