PLEASE HELP ME !!! Jeep Cherokee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I own a 96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0l Highout put .. Heres what it is doing it will start and run great .. But once it warms up to opt if u hit the gas it cuts out and dies and doesn't want to restart .. Its dumping fuel in #1 cly to the where it is filing out plugs .. When its cold u can smash the gas and it take off like a bat out of hell .. But once it warms up it , hit the gas it dies .. It doesn't over fuel when its warming up runs perfect just after its to opt temp it does.. I am be gaining to think this is an ECM problem . I checked just bout everything i can .. I don't believe this is an ASD problem because it will run . If it was a bad ASd it cut spark are fuel to it ..I tried to scan it and my scan tool wont connect to the ecm and allow me to get codes . I check grounds,fuel pump ,volt to tps,map sensor . Injectors ,replaced coil .Ignition switch ,Checked ICA motor , Temp senor ... What else could it be? I am at a lost i check everything i figure could cause this problem ... Could it be a cam position sensor , are a crank sensor ? What if anything would cause such a problem besides a bad ecm.... I the temp sensor bad and its still reading the engine as could would this cause it to over fuel ? The only other thing i can think is a bad fuel pressure regulator, Not allowing the correct fuel pressure .. Its killing me please help me please

Injector may be stuck open. Check the fuel pressure with an actual gauge. Also get a scan tool that reads what you have.

Last edited:
check fuel filters too possibly. I ran my Jeep Cherokee with that 4.0 up to 480,000 miles and never did anything but minor stuff like a water pump, hoses and belts. Those engines are on the list of the top 10 ever made. Mine never burned oil between changes and I didn't even keep it changed on time. I changed it when it seemed time to do it or if it looked dirty. Those things are bullet proof. You've got a fuel delivery problem somewhere. Keep checking.....something will turn up. But it is definitely time to get a scan tool on it.

OLD THREAD....but maybe someone else is having problem. Sounds like possibly a bad fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom