Please..can we go back to nice Dash Plaques? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not to incite a riot with this idea, especially in light of my background color thread a while back, but IMHO last year's dash plaque sucked big.

Here's why, the aluminum with paper over it fell apart after just 3 summer months with the paper falling away.

I ask this b/c I just got some gift $ to put towards our membership for this year and specifically asked for the dash plaque again instead of an extra vinyl sticker.

Shane

p.s. If it's within anyone's power please recut the 2010 plaque in plastic and send me that as a replacement for the dead one I would love it. If I need to pay a $ or two to have it redone I'm fine, just let me know b/c those to me represent more as far as pride in a collection of them on the dashboard rather than a stack of duplicate window vinyl. I still want the 2011 plaque, just make it worth putting on the dash and not be cheaply made.

Again, the logic being to me it's a showing of pride and needs to reflect that sentiment. Paper laminated aluminum does not represent that.

the 1992 TLCA round plaque on my FJ40 glove box is aluminum...IIRC, it's dark green...

funny stuff right there.. Did you ever ask anyone at the TLCA for another dash plaque or just post here? And that's not a poke at Woody.. There are plenty of contact names and #'s in the front of the Toyota trails..

My guess is if you were to contact the TLCA administrator nicely, she might be able to hook you up with another dash plaque or 2. Pretty sure there might be a couple extras in the Executive TLCA office but she'll probably have to look behind the TLCA stocked bar and rare LandCruiser parts hoard to find em.

I can tell you it's not cost effective to reproduce a 2010 dash plaque as there is not that much demand for older / outdated dash plaques. The artwork might be able to be provided to you tho so that you might be able to inquire at your provider if they can make one that will be more durable.

IF the new ones have not been ordered I would be more than happy to pass your dissatisfaction with the 2010 product to the crew in charge. That would be my pleasure. I'd be more than happy to swing by the TLCA executive office on the way home for you and tell em they need to see about ordering something different.. It's on my way.

Honestly, send an email to the TLCA admin and she'd probably hook you up. She might very well have to charge you for a replacement but given yours fell apart i doubt it.

..My guess is if you were to contact the TLCA administrator nicely, she might be able to hook you up with another dash plaque or 2. Pretty sure there might be a couple extras in the Executive TLCA office but she'll probably have to look behind the TLCA stocked bar and rare LandCruiser parts hoard to find em.

:D :D :D
3089923206_ddf90a56ce.jpg

Isn't that what having this discussion board is for?

Erik, guys it is not necessarily that I desperately need a new plaque for 2010 it's that the paper laminated aluminum is cheap and didn't last. An all aluminum plaque, or even the machined plastic one's are better. I think it should go back to those type of deal. Why not post the topic here for feedback, it is a sin to do it this way and see if others agree? Why bother Jennifer with such a small thing when I am addressing a bigger idea that surrounds pride and image? Cheap out on small stuff and people tend to think it can be representative. [Not that I think that.] If I wanted a replacement and if it was aluminum-paper laminated I'd just go ahead and order one myself through the trophy shop in town so I could get something nice that will last.

I can't be the only one who's asked this? All I am asking is if supposedly there is room in the budget there for that style or the older style can it be an option for us in the future, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
*Correction, it was the 2009 plaque I was referring to, I never did get my 2010. Sorry if this is a touchy subject but it's just a badge and it should be decent quality.

Knowing I've likely riled some feathers I'll be lucky if I don't get one that's been ran over or pee'd on first.
*Jennifer, if you see this my member #'s 19772, feel free to email me the image files to hand over to my local guy. Anybody else wanting one remade just pm me and I'll figure out the expense for them as well as s/h if nobody else wants to fix this.

Last edited:
I think this thread is fine.
As of this reply, 125 views and four replies (counting me).

In my experience, I've only seen one guy who actually sticks plaques on his dash. I'm in contact with over a hundred members because I belong to three (sometimes four) clubs. I'm not saying plaques are passe, I'm just saying that most folks don't do much with them. And, they are very expensive to produce. Ask Jennifer for a couple extra and carry on.

Hope that helps,
Nick

I think this thread is fine.
As of this reply, 125 views and four replies (counting me).

In my experience, I've only seen one guy who actually sticks plaques on his dash. I'm in contact with over a hundred members because I belong to three (sometimes four) clubs. I'm not saying plaques are passe, I'm just saying that most folks don't do much with them. And, they are very expensive to produce. Ask Jennifer for a couple extra and carry on.

Hope that helps,
Nick

In a way sure if it's just you guys replying alone b/c it comes down to that. I'll give Jennifer an email or call Monday. Maybe my mind is just clouded since I've yet to replace my 60, but this looks like a good spot for my idea and why I would ultimately want something nicer. :D
IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Okay! Now that I see what you're thinking, I understand your question.

The dash plaques are not designed for sun and rain. Last year TLCA made some grill badges and they may come back. They were expensive to make and some of them had to be returned because of manufacturing problems. In short, any dash plaque on the outside of your rig will last about as long as a bumper sticker.

I'm passing this thread along to Bodean to add to his list of merchandising ideas. Thanks!
Nick

seriously, send Jenn an note asking for a new 09 and 10 plaque. just tell her I hazed you and I will insure that i dont' run over the ones she sends you. pretty sure there are spares in the spare bedroom upstairs. i'm not going to remember a TLCA # between now and when i get upstairs and she responds best to emails anyway. nick will look into something more "durable" ohh that didnt sound right did it?

I know some people really like the plaques and I will look into something more durable. I personally think it would have to be a "for sale" item rather than a give a way with membership due to the cost. I'll check.

Nick, that happens to be what's left of mine after it fell apart on the dash. I like the idea of it being plastic, so Jeff, yeah I'll happily fork out $ for a few in plastic.

Get me pricing, whatever. Personally I can see handing some out at an event to people to do the same with and it going over well.
Erik *Like I said above, I'm not going to bother Jennifer with this, it's an idea for a different direction. I don't want another dash plaque if it'll be the laminated thing.

Try out a run of like 25 and see, I have dibs on the first 3. The market is there, these sell like hotcakes..I'd rather have TLCA on my rig though. I already have replys on the idea and can easily sell 6 w/i a week.
(If you all prefer I will again offer to get source pricing from out here for this but need "The OK" in printed or printable format* and gif/whatever files to take with me.

Trail Teams Badge SRP=$96-104.00
FJ-CRUISER-TRAIL-TEAMS-EMBLEM-BADGE-SET-PT413-35080-NEW-for-sale_320593623832.jpg

I can't remember the SRP on these..
Badges1.jpg

*Write a reply here expressing such and I'll hand it to him, he's worried about the trademark issue.
:D He's even willing to make some into beltbuckles if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Oh, and FWIW I'd have easily just sent this to Justin Ward privately but seeing as it's no longer his responsibility since moving up the ladder from MSVP I posted it here hoping for the best.

So far you guys willingness to at least reply and read shows me I can't be that far past the edge with the idea. (?? :lol: )

PM'ing Justin now though so he can bash on the idea personally in here. ;)
We-dont-need-no-stinking-badges.jpg

Last edited:
The key to all of this is QUALITY products, not cheap ones... I still have my dash badges from my SNLC days (80-81), made from etched plastic.
I would like to have some quality badges to put on my FJ40, but not something that is not designed to be worn everyday, rain or shine.

Those badges from back then are the one's I was referring to. Someone I know who still lives outside of Sonora, Ca had them and still has them. Etched FTW.

From what I understand it's the set-up that costs. Once that is set you can simply plug a piece of laminated plate for whatever 2 or 3 colors you want into a CNC and set it to run a batch.

The key to all of this is QUALITY products, not cheap ones... I still have my dash badges from my SNLC days (80-81), made from etched plastic.
I would like to have some quality badges to put on my FJ40, but not something that is not designed to be worn everyday, rain or shine.

(Disclosure) I own a company that makes dash plaques as a primary product.....We've been making them for almost 50 years now....I am a second generation owner and have co-owned and run this company for 10 years since my folks retired....having invested over 27 years in the business myself.

To get the best results, screen printed dash plaques would make the most sense. You can reproduce almost any logo or graphic, in multiple colors in an economical way for as few as 50 pieces.

Laminated plaques look great for a while, but once the moisture starts to de-laminate the paper....they're shot. It's why we don't make them that way. Even our magnets avoid paper as part of the finish for the same reasons.

Screen printing is much like printing early automotive paint (enamel) onto an ink receptive metal. It lasts about as long as early automotive enamel did, and can be polished and preserved in the same ways as a traditional paint job....There is a risk of buffing it off eventually with too much abrasion, because it is a thin layer of material, so I would recommend using a wax with no abrasives....like they use for modern finishes.

I stumbled in here as I was researching keywords for our company (Rallye Productions Inc.), and found this thread. While I have a vested interest in selling these products....I figured I may as well chime in for some basic information. We do work for Red Rock 4 Wheelers and several other 4 wheeler clubs around the country.

Cost doesn't have to be extreme to have a good quality product. Single or 2 color screen printed plaques can cost slightly more than 1.00 ea. in quantities as few as 100 pieces. Add a free sponsorship program and the price drops, and you get some cool free stuff to give out at your events.

Here are pricing examples...

I did read the rules....So I hope this post is acceptable. If not, delete it, and forgive me for any misunderstanding I might have had. I'm primarily here for informational purposes, and am happy to answer any questions as well as I can, regardless of if anyone purchases products from us or not.

Thanks,

Brian Genrich
Rallye Productions Inc.
President
bgenrich@rallyeproductions.com
RallyeProductions.com
Rallye Productions Industrial Printing

Thanks for the resopnse Brian. I have sent you an e-mail. I have been asked about car tags as well. Any interest in car tags? I think it would be cool to have a TLCA tag for the front of your vehicle.

:cool: What's that saying that goes something like "A cricket chirps" or "A butterfly flaps it's wings"? What're the odds my topic would come up on a general search? :D

Brian, thanks for your input here on the topic, the enamel idea was one I was just getting ready to check out since the local shop I spoke with originally is now actually going to close down in 6 months as they are ceasing operations.

If anything proceeds on this feel free to contact me also, even though I am but a lowly member here, I am the one asking for them and I am more than happy to pick out something as far as an option and be a willing Guinea Pig. I'll happily even pay for a small batch of this rough sketched idea..(Lettering needs to be properly worked for font/sizing).
tlcabadgeidearoughdraft.jpg

Here's what I was playing with for the original idea. Expand the top stuff and lessen the gray so the logo and letter shows up more readily from a distance, then include the bit "Established 1976" in the reduced gray area showing the history a bit.
TLCA-header-left3.png

If more people are aware of the organization and what it is here for the better I see things going overall as far as support and clout nationally and beyond. The emblem/badge idea can do that. *Understand everyone, I am not trying to change what and who TLCA is, but help to foster it staying around and being more secure in it's foothold and viability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom