Pinion noise/ bearing preload Pini (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had this humming noise on the highway, it starts around 25mph and just gets louder as I go faster. I just rebuilt the steering knuckles, so I know it's not a wheel bearing, at least in the front. It doesn't seem to make any more or less noise going around corners. I just removed the rear driveshaft flange to see the pinion nut and see if it was loose as well as checking the u-joints. The PO said he had the pinion nut loosen up on him, and he just tightened it whenever that happened so the pinion nut was pretty mangled though not super loose, it wasn't very tight either. I've read that the pinion bearing preload is set with a crush sleeve or shims, and if it's the former and it's been retorqued several times then it's probably out of spec and needs replacing. I noticed that the rear of the flange where it meets the diff is kinda bent out of shape as well. I'll post some pictures in a minute

factory system include a crush sleeve which it's a one time use .. there is also the option for solid spacer ( aftermarket ) instead of crush sleeve ..

both methods are valid .. but you must know which one you have .. also don't discard, t-case or tranny for noise ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom