Pinion bearing failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought a fj60 at the start of the summer and as expected it had been previously neglected and a laundry list of repairs needed, after replacing master cylinder, front calipers and pads, wheel bearings, rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders, rebuilding knuckles and birfield, thoroughly inspecting all axle shafts and differentials (ring and pinion appear brand new, as well as aussie locker showing not even the slightest wear) I'm lead to believe that the pinion bearing is wearing out. The reason I suspect this is at highway speeds there is a persistent hum from the driveline, and when rotating the pinion flange by hand with the axles removed there's inconsistent resistance that feels like debris in the bearings. I stopped short of pulling the pinion out since I didn't have a bearing press or gauge to measure and reset the backlash and didn't have new bearings to replace them if they were worn. And the possibility of having a crush sleeve made me hesitate tearing it apart. A local shop quoted me 1000$ to rebuild the pinion and carrier bearings, another mechanic said it'd be easier and cheaperto replace the whole axle. My question is two fold: is 1000$ a reasonable quote for a rebuild. How involved is rebuilding it myself? I've found a kit for under 200$

$1000 maybe for both 3rd rebuilds. For one that is about $550 to much. I had mine rebuild by a well known shop for well under $500 with tax.

Check with Randy's Ring and Pinion and similar shops. Because the Land Cruiser diff can be removed and serviced separate from the axle it is easier to pull it and send it to a shop vs. a Dana axle where the diff is serviced in place. A buddy of mine had his diffs rebuilt with ARB lockers installed for about the price you were quoted to service a single stock diff (many years ago of course). I would agree with Willard - $500 for new bearings installed is about right.

Another option is to buy a used diff and move your locker over. The diff from a front axle will likely have almost no wear.

A third option is to swap the diffs front to rear and move your locker (Assuming the locker is in the rear only). A slightly worn bearing will last for years in a front axle that sees only occasional trail use. This assumes the front diff in your truck is likely stock and unmolested.

Nick

(Obviously not a Cruiser axle...but) Here’s what can happen when a pinion seal leak is ignored, which leads to pinion bearings wearing out prematurely, which leads to pinion being loose, and the end result is that the gears end up like this after and the bearing races are friction welded to the housing. Fix it now.
94AA3057-9D2C-4EED-BDFC-939D030BF926.jpeg

New aussie locker, ring and pinion appear brand new, no pinion seal leak mentioned. It seems unlikely that the bearings would be failing. So, my questions about the humming drive line would be: 1. Could it be something else causing the noise? 2, Is it something to be concerned about or not?

I'd get a second opinion.

The inconsistent feel when rotating the flange is a bad bearing and or it has the wrong pinion bearing preload, likely to tight. Checking it and fixing it is super simple if you have the right tools. A pinion bearing puller being the most expensive in the mix but worth having in your tool box imo. This thing is worth its weight in gold.
Yukon Gear & Axle Carrier Bearing Pullers YT P20

So I've got a couple different quotes for local shops all around the thousand dollar mark. Theres a bearing kit for 150$ and I think I can get the tools and gauges for setting backlash and pinion preload all for under 500$. How difficult is it in practice because the procedure seems pretty straightforward

I haven't attempted it myself, but if you screw it up it'll be catastrophic. Diffs and transmissions have some pretty important set ups. I would attempt an engine overhaul before I tried to build a trans or diff. Not to deter you from going for it. Some people are just good at stuff like that.

A press, the bearing puller, and some patience is all you need to rebuild a diff yourself. It was daunting the first time and a pain doing it on the floor in my driveway but once you do one you can tackle the next one easier.

Rebuilding my ARB locker was more of a pain in the ass than installing the ring and pinion. It comes down to time and money. Which one do you have more of? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom