Photos of the Inside of a Chinese Fuel Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. 1995 FZJ-80. 170,500 miles.

I recently replaced the Chinese knock-off Fuel Filter in my FZJ-80 after discovering it was in fact Chinese and realizing I didn’t know how long it had been on the vehicle. This vehicle has many miles in South America and Southern Africa. It’s now back in the United States.

How long that knock-off filter had been on, who put it on and where it was put on is anyone’s guess. It was a slack job though - cheap knock-off filter dangling by one mounting bolt. I’m a more responsible 80 owner these days. Such things won’t happen in the future.

Here’s the thread...

Fuel Filter Replacement - Complete

After giving the Fuel Filter a few days to dry out and completely drain outdoors, I decided - out of mere curiosity - to see what it looked like inside.

Here are a few photos. Honestly, it wasn’t as bad inside as I expected. Guess it did it’s job. Hope you enjoy these...

D304C65D-2929-444E-BAF4-A386248D5DC0.jpeg

5C0DFCEF-8E6B-4356-9F55-5928D03D4C77.jpeg

D9FB1138-F162-436E-9DD8-8CADFE2D2853.jpeg

49E2182C-0EE3-4100-93EB-DA2F686A74C9.jpeg

094D4D21-B6BF-4DCF-8B75-775722A2D976.jpeg

Thanks for contributing. Honestly struggling to understand whats wrong with this filter. If you dont know a guy then factory filters are around $45. Sounds like your filter didnt fail you and did the job more than adequately. A common misconception is that everything made in China is bad, quality can often be as good as made anywhere else.

I did my filter with a WIX for less than half the price. They have a plant in China. While id prefer OEM, it does a fine job.

The problem is not if the product (enter whatever here), was made in China, it is WHERE it was made in China.

My Samsung S8 phone was made in China, so pretty hi tech stuff, or you can buy a Chinese washing up bowl that will dissolve right in front of you as the tap is turned on.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for contributing. Honestly struggling to understand whats wrong with this filter. If you dont know a guy then factory filters are around $45. Sounds like your filter didnt fail you and did the job more than adequately. A common misconception is that everything made in China is bad, quality can often be as good as made anywhere else.

I did my filter with a WIX for less than half the price. They have a plant in China. While id prefer OEM, it does a fine job.

@brockdeck, I guess you’re probably right. As I mentioned, I was actually pretty surprised that the Chinese filter seemed to be in decent shape inside, especially considering the African fuel run through it for who knows how long.

Guess I shouldn’t beat up on China too much - we couldn’t survive in this modern world without them! Although, @Dave 2000 is right - a lot depends on what the item is and where in China it was made.

For my 80, it’s only OEM from now on. Including a new radiator I’m about to order as PM (I’m on my original from 1995).

I figure if I want to use the vehicle for yet another decade I had better stick with Toyota parts.

Appreciate the reply.

I have a customer that goes to China quite regularly for manufacturing. He tells me the problem with Chinese goods is that a western company will go there, and demand widget X gets built for dirt cheap with no real QC to help keep costs down.

If the company asks for, and pays for, a good product to be built, they get a good product. If you ask for a piece of garbage, that's what you get.

I have a customer that goes to China quite regularly for manufacturing. He tells me the problem with Chinese goods is that a western company will go there, and demand widget X gets built for dirt cheap with no real QC to help keep costs down.

If the company asks for, and pays for, a good product to be built, they get a good product. If you ask for a piece of garbage, that's what you get.

I think the story here is to use a trustworthy company and if you don't want to have to wonder, just get OEM. But realize your paying the premium price for almost the same product.
@brockdeck, I guess you’re probably right. As I mentioned, I was actually pretty surprised that the Chinese filter seemed to be in decent shape inside, especially considering the African fuel run through it for who knows how long.

Guess I shouldn’t beat up on China too much - we couldn’t survive in this modern world without them! Although, @Dave 2000 is right - a lot depends on what the item is and where in China it was made.

For my 80, it’s only OEM from now on. Including a new radiator I’m about to order as PM (I’m on my original from 1995).

I figure if I want to use the vehicle for yet another decade I had better stick with Toyota parts.

Appreciate the reply.

I use all OEM or OE parts, but when it comes to a paper filter, I try not to spend too much money. To each there own, to me its just a paper filter; it keeps particulates out and withstands pressure

I've used Wix as well but playing devil's advocate here: How do you know it's doing a "fine" job? My assumption is that we are hoping it's fine but w/o empirical data, you got nut'n! It could be allowing minute particles in the injectors over time. :meh:

again, just playing the devil's advocate here!

I've used Wix as well but playing devil's advocate here: How do you know it's doing a "fine" job? My assumption is that we are hoping it's fine but w/o empirical data, you got nut'n! It could be allowing minute particles in the injectors over time. :meh:

again, just playing the devil's advocate here!

Its made by a company I trust as a direct aftermarket replacement. The truck runs fine and has for months.

No data needed, good enough for me doesnt need to be good enough for everyone ;)

Funny enough my other filters and parts are OEM. When I did the fuel filter, I could not justify $47 as the price I could get. Its just a fuel filter.

Appreciate the reply.

As someone that works with Chinese factories daily, it is less about Chinese and more about the quality of the personnel in the factory. I’ve worked with factories in Israel and there quality assurance is definitely below that of one in China (usually).

Food for thought.

As someone that works with Chinese factories daily, it is less about Chinese and more about the quality of the personnel in the factory. I’ve worked with factories in Israel and there quality assurance is definitely below that of one in China (usually).

Food for thought.

Interesting that, I recently had a customer insist on Bosch filters only.

His words "you cannot beat German quality". So his VW Jetta got all Bosch filters, one was made in Israel, another in Tunisia, and the final one Turkey!

Regardless of whatever the product is, most manufacturers will source the lowest material and labour costs, the result, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Regards

Dave

Maybe it’s just me but wouldn’t the fact that the fuel filter is clean be a bad thing? I’d assume it’s not stopping any crap that’s in the fuel and sending it right on through to your injectors :)

Interesting that, I recently had a customer insist on Bosch filters only.

His words "you cannot beat German quality". So his VW Jetta got all Bosch filters, one was made in Israel, another in Tunisia, and the final one Turkey!

Regardless of whatever the product is, most manufacturers will source the lowest material and labour costs, the result, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Regards

Dave
Totally!!!!

Maybe it’s just me but wouldn’t the fact that the fuel filter is clean be a bad thing? I’d assume it’s not stopping any crap that’s in the fuel and sending it right on through to your injectors :)

Thanks for making me feel better today!

I have no idea, as I’m no fuel engineer or auto mechanic, but you make a good point.

Anyway, OEM is on there now and the truck runs great. It did before too. So I’ll let the Mud OCD fade for now...

Appreciate the reply.

I use all OEM or OE parts, but when it comes to a paper filter, I try not to spend too much money. To each there own, to me its just a paper filter; it keeps particulates out and withstands pressure

There's the key. A visual inspection I'd not going to tell you what size particulates are still getting through.
OEM filters filter to something like 3microns (I can't even imagine how small that is).
There's been plenty of testing to show that many aftermarket filters, reputable name or not, don't even come close.
OEM is the safest option for filters without data to show your alternative IS the equivalent.
I used plenty of non OEM stuff, but use oem filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom