For Sale Phoenix, AZ 1979 FJ40 Resto Mod, 3rd owner survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Selling this turn key and go 1979 FJ40 to make room for another new project. I purchased this unmolested 40 a little over 2years ago as a 3rd owner with no intention of selling it so some of the OCD came out in my restoration/modification. I wanted to have a nice 40 that I could drive reliability day in and out if needed but not make it too nice to take off road when I wanted to. However I’ve just got too many other projects and don’t have the room for this one right now. I have gone through just about everything mechanical on it and tried to leave as stock as possible with some very minor modifications. I’ve listed some of the major items that I have gone through or replaced that I think are relevant and can remember. All items replaced are either OEM, Aisin whenever available. No cheap aftermarket parts, when I say turn key 40 I mean turn key. New Synthetic PVC Fully magnetic Trollhole soft top included with zip out panels (never installed, matches door fabric on FST doors)

This 79 FJ40 was originally ordered by the Saudi Armed forces and shipped New into Saudi Arabia. It was later imported by Marv Specter of Specter off-road in the late 80s where it stayed in California until A few years ago until it was sold into West Texas where I purchased it and have been bringing it back to its original glory. It originally shipped with a factory hard top, lost somewhere in California when it came to the states. The climate it grew up in shows when you consider much of the paint is original.

New OME springs and shocks (2” lift)
New brake calipers, rotors, pads
New SS brake lines (All)
New brake master cylinder
New ball joints, drag link, Rebuilt knuckles, etc.
New clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, hydraulic lines
New rear main seal (This 40 does not leak oil!)
Split and completely resealed transmission and Xfer case
New upholstery, seatbelts, floor mats, front and rear
Updated to buckets from original bench seat
Restored heater box
Restored FST doors (have additional pics of resto)
Added realsteel bows and tailgate
Many other knickknacks, too many to list or remember

$40,000 obo

E316610B-8141-4B6F-9188-8C8522DB2546.jpeg
CA1345A7-CF76-4BE0-8ED8-E3704164EA01.jpeg
2737D613-E4D6-4906-90BF-E1009A1DE282.jpeg
DAFF5D34-9007-4578-BF50-1197FEA44305.jpeg
20875725-609E-496C-8E11-3D7512BA9D95.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking truck - You should consider BaT. I think it would do well there. The process from submission to a live auction can be long and tedious but you obviously have some photography chops. Given about 200 more pics and some video, you will get all the money there.

Nice looking truck - You should consider BaT. I think it would do well there. The process from submission to a live auction can be long and tedious but you obviously have some photography chops. Given about 200 more pics and some video, you will get all the money there.
Really nice. Where do you get those doors?

Nice work, Sheppard.

I know the time and money you put into this one. I hope Marv was able to see the finished project.

GLWS

Do you know who added the front heater? Are those factory front buckets or aftermarket?
I know the Saudi military typically ordered them without heaters so I’m assuming it was installed by Specter once it arrived in the US since all the OEM duct work is intact including defrost etc, your guess is as good as mine. I restored the heater earlier this year, works perfectly.
Front seats are OEM buckets from an 80’ FJ40 and I deleted the headrests. I Personally prefer the low back look, if someone wanted to add them later they can easily be added.

Nice work... custom catches for the tail gate hooks. I was dreaming up something similar for my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom