Pevious LX guy(Current GX) Thinking of coming back- input request. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Backstory- I have owned 3 LXs and a few GX models. The LX history was LX470 I loved. Upgraded to an 08 w180k and sold it with 210k, moved to a 13 LX with 118 on it and moved to the 21 GX with 20k on it CPO. The reason for the GX swap was for the reliability and warranty while driving all over fly fishing with friends and family. The GX has been great but it is not the LX which fit my silverback body style just a bit better. The new GX is smooth and the few extra MPGs did not break my heart. It was always going to be a no headache place keeper until I found a newer LX or order new LC when they come in and be done for a long while.

Fast forward to last week while taking my GX in for 30k service, a dealer has an LX on the lot and of course I saw it.

My 21GX with 31k on the clock and 13k for an 18 LX CPO with 31k on the clock. Thoughts?

All of this is heavily weighted with the understanding the LX is better. Is the 18LX 13k better than 21GX both being CPO and 31k?

Thanks in advance for thoughts. Starting to do the research on making this update version into simple lift and 33s like I did with the other 200s. I'm a modest guy. Just need a bit better clearance and tires to get to fishing holes.

I plan to keep this one for a long time.

I’ve had a ‘13 LX 570 for 10 years now. I had a GX loaner for 3 months once. From everything you mentioned I can’t think of any reason the LX would be better. I will disclose If I didn’t tow a 7k camper all summer I’d have a GX.

You are talking about trading in a pretty much brand new truck for what reason? If it were me and I really wanted a new Lexus truck I’d wait for the new GX550.

And to answer your other question for 33’s on the LX you would likely have to manipulate the front fender liner with a heat gun, drill, and zip ties.

Thanks for the link! I think I have the deal as ratcheted down as I can get.

I do like the GX. It is smooth.

I am just so hardwired to think the LX is better in every way... I made a platform for my 13 LX and could sleep in it if needed. I did the AHC stuff and fender flare mods on the 08 and 13 so no worries there. Just need to get rid of the metro looking 20 or 21" wheels and get back down to 17 or 18 with AT BFGS or Toyos for sidewall. That's another cost outlay to consider.

Another tidbit is I have a 21 TRD Pro (30k) for heavy duty- towing and such. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

I have a 2013 LC and it is just right for me size wise. 3rd row comes handy but not used frequently. Enough cargo space without being a pain to park. Can tow my cargo trailer fine or anything else not requiring a HD truck. Does just fine getting to fishing spots or ski lifts. It checks all the boxes for me. I yearn for something newer or better MPG once in a while. If I had a daily commute then I would probably feel differently.

Thanks for the link! I think I have the deal as ratcheted down as I can get.

I do like the GX. It is smooth.

I am just so hardwired to think the LX is better in every way... I made a platform for my 13 LX and could sleep in it if needed. I did the AHC stuff and fender flare mods on the 08 and 13 so no worries there. Just need to get rid of the metro looking 20 or 21" wheels and get back down to 17 or 18 with AT BFGS or Toyos for sidewall. That's another cost outlay to consider.

Another tidbit is I have a 21 TRD Pro (30k) for heavy duty- towing and such. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
Man I think a tundra and GX seems like a pretty sweet combo.

My 2 cents - the LX is worth it alone just for the extra seating space. Also, I much prefer the 5.7 over the 4.6 as well.

The GX 460 exterior design is not nearly as good as the LX. It just seems like they chopped off the back too early and the taillights are too high up. Bleh…

I will say though, with the new GX 550 coming out, they knocked it out of the park with the new front end. But I have my reservations on the platform until they’ve been out a few years and we see what bugs are in the platform.

I really like the look of the new GX coming out and that was the original idea to wait until the bugs worked out for a few years. Plus, the new "It" cars seem to have dealer mark ups and sold before hitting pavement status lately. I don't play that way.

I do think the Tundra and GX combo works. It's my damned American consumerism making me want the apex SUV.

This site, no matter the platform, will provide some real insight though. Even with the run of the mill "what would you do Q." I appreciate it guys!

If you feel strongly that the LX is your spirit animal, I'd shop around a bit. $13k + trade-in for an older truck doesn't seem like something I'd be willing to do. I'm sure there are plenty of 16+ out there maybe with a little higher miles that won't cost you as much. Also, since you've had several of these, you should know by now, miles are nothing to be scared of.

Sounds like you’re just going to get a new car in 2-4 years anyway so sure…..

I'd choose an LX/LC based on the tailgate alone.

IMG_1625.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, without a doubt I would take that deal. We have a GX, wife drives it, I absolutely hate almost everything about it and would trade back for the 4Runner in an instant given the chance.

As much as it might seem like I'd trade it off in a few years, I think a newer 570 would be it for a long time. If the new GX turns out to be good, it could be the next one years down the road. I just know the 5.7 and all of the things one has to do. It is proven like the 4.7 or 4.6. I finally stopped the search for my truck when I found the TRD Pro Tundra. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

On the subject- is the 18 going to be any different AHC wise or wheel well ? I really just want 33s and get to using it. Don't mind bending or cutting a little plastic and getting wheels with proper offset.

And yes- I agree with tailgate comments. My other 200s I had a sleeping platform I built with drawers underneath. Love the space. I take the 3rd row out immediately.

I have a 2016 LX luxury package on OEM 20's off a 2009 with 33" tires (275/60R20) and we have a stock 2021 GX Luxury fully loaded with the off road package, etc. as well. I can probably answer any specific questions you might have between the two. You've had both so you already know what they're like to live with.

My LX is miles ahead of the GX in technology...I specifically bought a 2016+ because of the adaptive cruise (I live in LA and deal with traffic). It feels like a much newer car with the HUD, bigger infotainment screen, etc. Back seat passengers have it miles better too, and the split tailgate is so much better than the swing out barn door. But you're still not gonna be able to fool yourself into thinking you drive the newest and fanciest car with cutting edge tech.

Also remember the LX is better and more capable, but it will come with higher running costs and more expensive mods. It's not a purchase you make with your brain...the tech is still old and you're still gonna get 250 miles off a tank on the best days. Enough money will fix most of the compromises, but for example an aux tank will set you back $2500 (!) if you install it yourself, or at least $3500 (!!) if you have a shop do it for you. The 2016+ also doesn't have any aftermarket steel bumpers, etc. unless you're willing to do a lot of custom work. For heavy modding the 2015 and earlier are still the best. This doesn't matter to me because I really value driving an understated sleeper. In addition to my aux tank and 33"s I have a hidden winch...an LX already flies under the radar, but I really love not getting a second look from anyone.

But really if you're not gonna keep the car a long time, not sure it's worth the cost to switch. The 250 and 300 are more refined, have better tech, and are honestly objectively better cars. The GX is also at least 80% of the truck the LX is. You really have to want an 200 series to live with it...most people would probably be better off leasing something newer and dumping it when it starts falling apart after 3-5 years.

Which brings me to the last point...from an engineering point of view, a 200 is the ultimate car. There's also really no other platform where you can drop in 33" tires with absolutely no other work required, and still fit a matching spare underneath (and still have enough space leftover for a 12.5 aux tank to tuck in as well). Yeah the tech still won't compete with a new car, but it has everything I need to have it feel relevant. It's great to live with as my daily driver but still much more capable off road than I'll ever need. And it'll probably outlive me...but that's because I plan on holding onto it until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom