1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pertronix is in. Timing?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by SteveO, Feb 23, 2007.

1. SteveO

SteveO

I got the Pertronix Ignitor and Flamethrower coil installed and working tonight( on my second try). Turns out if you don't slide the magnet on to the shaft the truck won't start. :doh: Runs great now and seems to idle smoother and revs up without the minor hesitation it had before. Seems smoother so I'm pleased, I just need the snow to melt to take it out for a test drive.

Anyways, two questions:
    I didn't use the ballast resistor on my 77. Any problems with not using it? I had no instructions with mine and the website seems like it doesn't really matter.

Do I need to mess with the timing after installing the coil and ignitor? I don't really understand why I would but a lot of my searches found timing questions with the Pertronix questions.

Any and all advice appreciated and don't be afraid to dumb it down a bit. I'm just learning my way around this truck. Thanks. ....Steve

2. lc69hunter

lc69hunter SILVER Star

I ran that setup for years before going to a DUI. I found it ran best at about 10 degrees advance. However, for the annual emissions test I had to set it back down to 7 or even lower to pass.

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

If the coil came with a resistor, use it; if not don't.
    The only down side to not having a ballast resistor coil is that it may be hard to start in cold weather.

You prabably need to adjust the timing.

4. SteveO

SteveO

The coil didn't come with one but my old coil (aftermarket but not sure of the brand) did. From what I read on the Pertronix website and from reading a bunch of old threads here it sounded like it didn't matter but I want to be sure. Not worried about cold weather starts as I only drive it in the summer since I have no top or doors. :D

I'll check the timing this weekend. Thanks. ...Steve

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

If the coil is too hot to touch after running for 20 minutes, you might need the resistor. It would be nice if they told you if it needs a resistor or not.

6. SteveO

SteveO

I thought so too but there were no instructions in the box and I can't find anything on their site that really nails it down. Going by the info in https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=53155&highlight=pertronix+resistor this thread and a few others it sounds like I should be OK without the resistor. I'll see how hot it is the next time I have it running. ....Steve

7. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

Steve, I've been selling and installing these for over 8 years now. NOT A SINGLE INSTALL with a ballast resistor. Not a single problem either.

I have noted that Pertronix has a blanket policy of not recommending changing from factory routing where the ballast resistor is concerned. I think that that policy is based on other applications where there are components in the system that might be damaged by running unregulated voltage. Since this is not an issue with LC installs, I choose to run them 'open.' As I said, I have not seen a SINGLE issue from this choice.

You should DEFINITELY recheck your timing. It is almost always different with the Pertronix install than stock. I generally add at least a few degrees over stock as long as the motor doesn't complain about it [pinging]

Glad you like it.;)