Parts Question: Power Steering Cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does the power steering reservoir cap have a gasket? Replaceable gasket? The top of my reservoir gets a bit of PS fluid, wipe it away, back in a week.

I don't believe that should be happening. more concerning than not having a good seal is the fact that it splashes up there anyway.
You could just get a new cap, but that may not fix the underlying problem.

The reservoir is vented.

you might be a little over full...

or have you turned the steering wheel with the engine off???

When you turn the wheel with the engine off, you’re forcing fluid backwards in the system... if the reservoir wasn’t vented the fluid wouldn’t want to move back into the reservoir.

Ideally, the proper fill level will still allow fluid return without overflowing...

Prob overfull. Will siphon some out with a straw and keep an eye on it.

Thanks

I just bought a new cap for mine. Not delivered yet. I searched for the P/N of the gasket. I KNOW someone here knows the number, but they're not sharing.

I'm having the same issue. I sealed the body of the reservoir a while back and it isolated the fact that it is coming out the cap. I'm sure the seal is hard as a brick.

Yes there is a gasket that goes into the power steering cap as well as the oil cap

So, there could be a gasket. I'd just look at my cap but even knowing that the oil cap has a gasket was very hard to believe while looking at a rock hard 20 year old formerly rubber gasket, so looking at the PS cap might be the same.

Edit: to slow typing before the above post.

My old one leaked constantly, the rubber seal was rock hard. I found one on eBay for some other Toyota that fit for half the price, and no more leaks.

My old one leaked constantly, the rubber seal was rock hard. I found one on eBay for some other Toyota that fit for half the price, and no more leaks.
Do you have a part number of what worked for your 80? I'm having the same issue with power steering fluid on the top of the reservoir.

I bought a new cap from Toyota and installed it. Stopped another leak!

I can't remember or find it, but it was off some Australian truck I believe.

I already found one for less than $20 shipped and it's OEM. Thanks for the responses everyone!
We would all like to know of your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom