Part ID help request - 55 ignition something? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1971 FJ 55 part question.
I assume the black cylinder is the ignition coil. Please correct if wrong.
What is the ivory colored module attached?

Saw smoke coming from the blue terminal when ignition switched was turned on for 10 seconds or so; like the termination is heating up.
When looking closer, saw that he ivory colored part is cracked.
IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

Also known as a 'ballast resistor' and is important for the ign. system.

Is that a common part or Toyota specific?
Can anyone recommend a part number and/or source?

If you can find the resistance value, you may be able to substitute for any other ballast resistor of the same value. Chrysler products through the 1970s and 80s used separate ballast resistors like this, typically attached to the firewall in an area where their heat would not cause problems. The resistor limits current to the coil when the engine is running to prevent frying the coil.

On some ignition systems, it is bypassed during cranking to allow a hotter spark for faster starting - and when you release the key from 'start' to 'run', the ballast resistor is then part of the circuit. The FSM for your truck may show how to test the part, in which case it will provide a resistance value. I haven't owned an FJ40 of that era with the original ignition system, so I don't know it offhand.

SOR (www.sor.com) shows an aftermarket part for $45 you can adapt to fit, but I suspect there's a lot cheaper solution out there. Advance Auto claims to have one that will fit for $15 - special order: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...r-ru17/20100598-P?searchTerm=ballast+resistor

Last edited:
If you can find the resistance value, you may be able to substitute for any other ballast resistor of the same value. Chrysler products through the 1970s and 80s used separate ballast resistors like this, typically attached to the firewall in an area where their heat would not cause problems. The resistor limits current to the coil when the engine is running to prevent frying the coil.

On some ignition systems, it is bypassed during cranking to allow a hotter spark for faster starting - and when you release the key from 'start' to 'run', the ballast resistor is then part of the circuit. The FSM for your truck may show how to test the part, in which case it will provide a resistance value. I haven't owned an FJ40 of that era with the original ignition system, so I don't know it offhand.

SOR (www.sor.com) shows an aftermarket part for $45 you can adapt to fit, but I suspect there's a lot cheaper solution out there. Advance Auto claims to have one that will fit for $15 - special order: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom