Parking brake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What did all the parts cost you?

My parking brake mechanism is not working as it should either, Damn New England Salt. I think a freshening up with new parts and anti-seize would fix the problem.

Did you have any issues with the parking brake cable?

Maybe Dan can chime in and let us know what a "kit" that included all of the above would cost us instead of all of us PMing him.... How about it Dan???

I'm sure this is a very common issue for us that live in the regions of the country that use salt on the roads in the winter.

Maybe Dan can chime in and let us know what a "kit" that included all of the above would cost us instead of all of us PMing him.... How about it Dan???

I'm sure this is a very common issue for us that live in the regions of the country that use salt on the roads in the winter.

All pieces, like many things with Toyota, are individual. There is not a 'kit' for this project.

I will put together 'my' recommended parts list shortly.....

Also-

The parking brake shoes were not replaced when doing this, so they are not included in the price that Ryan posted up out here.....

Is your antisieze compatible with rubber? Just wondering...I've always used high temp synthetic brake grease on the caliper pins...I too am a fan of antiseize....Living in New Engalnd I did the same rehab on my '94 about a year or so ago... My parts were much like yours in condiiton. Nice job!

FAQ if not done already!

Great write up!!! I was just about to start another newbie thread about adjusting the parking brake. Now I know what it looks like in there.

Excellent Job!!!

Riley

Is your antisieze compatible with rubber? Just wondering...I've always used high temp synthetic brake grease on the caliper pins...I too am a fan of antiseize....Living in New Engalnd I did the same rehab on my '94 about a year or so ago... My parts were much like yours in condiiton. Nice job!

Is it time to reopen the copper anti-seize vs. nickel vs. graphite vs. moly vs. brake grease lube question for various applications? Or is this in the FAQs and my search-fu failed?

I used brake grease on the pins, moly everywhere else when I freed mine. When I go back there this spring, I will replace all the bits instead of just banging them loose, hence my question. Please note that this is a tech thread, not chat.

Is your antisieze compatible with rubber?

Have been using Caterpillar anti-sieze on these pieces on multiple vehicles for over ten years without any issues....

PARTS LIST: (for THIS 1997 LX450)

(It is very possible that YOUR truck has similar, but yet DIFFERENT pieces to do the same job, hence why I suggested to PM cruiserdan about YOUR SPECIFIC parts requirements.)

1- 47628-60010 Bracket
1- 47629-60010 Bracket
2- 90249-08075 Pin
2- 90213-06013 Washer
1- 47633-60010 Boot
1- 47634-60010 Boot
4- 90506-20033 Spring
2- 47639-30020 Bolt
2- 94110-40600 Nut
1- 47624-60022 Crank
1- 47625-60022 Crank

2- 47616-60020 Wire/Cable
2- 90213-04001 Washer
2- 90249-07074 Pin

I would also suggest picking up the pin, retaining clip and spring washer piece that is used to attach the parking brake cable to the levers on the backing plate. I was able to get these out, clean the corrosion off and reuse them, but this has been an exception, as replacement is usually the rule with these pieces, just like the rest of the assemblies.

Vehicle specific parts

When talking to CDan, I found that 1997 had a mid-year change in the backing plate configuration. Check your vehicle for proper replacement parts!

-rmf

The antisieze is going to give you trouble. It gums up after a while. It will take a year but the calipers will start to stick, at least that was my experience. I went with the tried and true white lithium after that and everything has been fine for years.

+1 on the Lithium. I use the BG brake kit lube when I do mine.

this is an awesome write up, thanks for your time and effort.
I've been suspecting a hanging parking brake, and now I can know what to look for and adjust if necessary.

I owe you a beer.

Wanna see how expensive parts are up here? Check this out. Below is a copy of my receipt for almost all the parts that Poser used to repair the parking brake. Total after tax came to 239.86. Poser paid 97 bucks with shipping. Now that sucks.

Karl
park_brake.jpg

Good job! Mine wasn't as bad but once I had it freed up and painted I packed the entire boot with white lithium grease and check/ add to it from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom