Parking brake shoe hold down spring ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question before I button up my rear axle.

Browsed prior threads and FSM, but didn't see this specifically.

Upon pulling my PS rear brake disk, I found that my front parking brake shoe hold down spring was all FUBAR'd.

In fact the pin, this is the pin that is bent with a hump in it, was actually really bent way the F outta wack so that the two ends were not close to being inline with each other. So I bent it back as straight as I could. I put the spring and cap back in place. (ordering a new one)

So short of pulling the other side apart and comparing the parts, like I was planning to do, but now don't need to do because I was surprised to find brand new bearings in the hub, I figured I ask first.

I have a record showing the parking brake was serviced by PO a year or so ago and there's a ton of pad life left.

3 questions:

1> the front shoe (the one with the offending pin) floats, meaning it has a couple mils of play in and out and feels loose, but the rear shoe really has almost zero float in it. is that normal? could it be that my gumby pin elongated and changed the preload tension of the spring....

2>I noticed that the cap that holds down the spring is different from front shoe to rear shoe. the front pin cap is basically flush with the top of the spring, and the rear cap has detent that it grab the pins 1cm below top of the spring (presumably adds preload which might account for the float diff above). looking at a couple other pics online, both of those caps look the same front to rear, so wondering if somebody improvised awhile back...and if that is causing the issue.

3> some part of this gouged the inside of the drum...but so not gonna worry about it, as will prob replace the whole rotor next brake job...not to worry right?

PIC: the front "gumby" pin how I found it. You can see the wonky bend in it.
IMG_7700 2.JPG

PIC#2 Don't get distracted by the porcupine ABS sensors, look at the cap on the rear hold down spring. Its an "Innie". That said, maybe the pin is too short too?? the spring would basically be compressed if it had the cap that was flush with the top of the spring like the front one...
IMG_7703 2.JPG

PIC #3 the gouge is the bright stripe at the bottom 1/3. not sure whats causing the other bright stripe in the middle of the shoe surface...

IMG_7701.JPG

Attachments

• prkgbrak.pdf
    183 KB · Views: 134
  • prkgbrak.pdf
    183 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
I had a similar problem after I screwed up the front shoe pin (dog leg one) trying to get the rotor off. I tried to bend it back but ended up replacing it as it was loose. the replacement was tight like the back shoe.

This may be helpful 1993 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 4.5L L6 Parking Brake Hardware Kit | RockAuto

And this :

Cool. Will check doc out.

I got it all back together tonight.

Had to roll in the adjuster a lot. Cuz there was rubbing. I used some chaulk it was that front show with the dog leg. So now p brake doesn't full engage until the very top of the pull.

SOR has the individual pins for special order. So gonna pic up one of those and try to readjust once I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom