Paintable bedliner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joseywales

Renaissance Redneck
Threads
With all the folks on here de-flaring and line-x, herculining etc I haven't seen anyone paint the liner... I like the concept of liner, but don't want the flat black or other offered colors. I would like to paint over the liner with a stock Lexus color. Any thoughts?

On another thread I asked the same question - apparently LineX will match any color, but what they do is spray a coat of paint over the regular bed liner, which to me seems lame. I thought part of the reasoning was to avoid paint's general fragility and fading qualities. I would much prefer it if the entire coating was colored and you could pick your color.

The LineX website shows lots of colors, but doesn't discuss color options, give color chips, or anything else.

Some of the liners are custom tintable, and linex will match color for you, im looking at trying to match my lexus with Al's liner.
Check their site and the U-pol site.

Cheers, Peter from Fernie

I worked in a Rhino-line place back in the early 90's - they will try to make a color that matches your request with pigments on hand, but reds & burgundy were a total crapshoot, blues weren't much better - but the fact it's a slightly forgiving surface where paint isn't without a flex additive, it wasn't ever done when I worked there & I don't know of any paint that will bite to the liner without flaking off being hard enough to resist normal use.

You might see what the chances are of getting paint done then getting a shop to shoot the liner as a clear (no pigment) over the top (old way when I worked there was to grind beds to bare & rough metal to get a real bite, so there might be issues there if surface prep is still the same requirements) - I recall both totes were a near clear / not opaque or off-clear liquid, you might get a shop willing to try this with you???

I think that putting liner on and then painting it, would kind of defeat the purpose of the liner in the first place. The liner is there as a tough surface, but if it is scratched the full body of the liner is the same color, so a scratch will not be too noticeable. If you have standard black liner on it, and then paint it another color on top, the paint layer will still scratch pretty easily and be very noticeable with the liner beneath it.

I think the best bet is to see if you can get liner tinted to match, or maybe a better idea, to get it done in a complimentary color so that the liner along the bottom of the rig makes for a nice two tone scheme with the OEM paint. This is less likely to look poorly, down the road when UV rays fade the liner color. If you tried to match the liner exactly with the OEM paint, you might be left with a faded liner next to perfect paint, in a year or two.

The top coat that LineX uses is a Kevlar based coating apparently IIRC that can be tinted to OEM colors
I would go to a LineX dealer and talk to them directly
There website is vague at best

I am going to try and take the flares and door panels off in one piece and re-use them, but I guess the way to go is tinting the line-x if I screw them up on the removing portion of the job. My 450 is the "grandpa gold" color and has been resprayed once to deal with peeling clear coat. It wasn't done properly so I really have lots of choices as the existing paint is shiiite. I am going to spray the body white and want to do the flares or line-x in a grey that matches the stock wheel "inserts".
Does anyone want to share what they were charged for a pro spray job of line-x? There isn't a dealer close to me...

I depends on how much you want sprayed
Are there any other spray on bedliner places in your area besides LineX?
There has to be at least one I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom