Paint Planning / execution FZJ80 (80 series) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lp2k

Had a couple of drinks.. saw a couple of things
Threads
Hello everyone, I figure I will start my painting and prep thread to get some advice and feedback as I venture into this project. Unlike mechanics, I never really have found or used a body shop I can trust. If anyone here on mud can recommend a shop that can do a great paint job, I will gladly visit for 2nd opinions.

I'll target each panel and this way mud members can let me know.

Question I have is if I do add a 4 1/2 inch slee lift or even a 6 inch lift, will 35 inch tires rub or come in contact with the stock fender flares ?

The truck:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419555164.853421.jpg

The above picture is the driver side rear quarter panel. I am keeping the fender flares. I'm assuming a body shop can repair and attach back. Since I want to keep (what some consider tacky) fender flares, I know I'll need the plastic clips from toyota that secures them. Is there also a weather seal i need to get as well?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419555356.555511.jpg

The above picture is the driver side passenger door. I am keeping the fender flares. I'm assuming a body shop can repair and attach back. I did notice the door handle. I would like to know if it's easy to remove the door handle and have them painted off the truck and if I need some rubber gasket when I remount. My other issue is should I worry about pulling / replacing the door window black gasket.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419555587.863011.jpg

The above picture is the driver side door. I will pull off the mirror and have it repainted just like the above photo.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419555732.583534.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419555743.178624.jpg

Obviously the worst is my hood where the clear coat is off and the hood is exposed. I want to have the section where the windshield wiper arms are removed and painted off the truck just like the door handles and rear view mirrors. Can the wiper arms be repainted as mine has some surface rust? Also, is it best to pull the rubber surround moulding around the windshield and we can reuse it ? Or is it better to buy new and apply?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419555969.554833.jpg

The roof. I would like to keep this truck as stock as possible. Can any of this stuff be reused or should I source some new stuff to mount. Now if some members can show me some good alternatives like jdm style racks or safari style (in time I would like to add the sleeper tent / water / extended camping equipment up here)

Anyways guys, that's it from my end. I'm really contemplating doing this in 3-5 months maybe less if funding is in my favor. Ok thanks everyone

Hey everyone, any subject matter experts out there that can spare some time to chat about painting a 80? Hopefully guys that have been in my shoes?

Kind of surprised you haven't gotten any response. I am in almost the same boat, although I have painted/done bodywork in the distant past. Just a bump for you!

I am a complete armature about body work so take what i say with a grain of salt. But you are looking at several small to med job or a complete paint. The right way would be to do a complete paint. If you are picky it will be the only way you are happy. And it will cost a lot to have it done right. If you are happy with a nice looking but a "trail rig" then you can do it in areas. But this will only work if you want to do mot of it yourself. Mot shops wont want to piece meal a job for mediocre results. Just my two cents.

My truck looks about the same. But i use her off road a good amount. So i have no interest in paying $5000 for show quality paint job. I also dont have a any interest in paying $1500 in paint job that peals off in 4 year. So i am stuck doing a piece meal job. First the roof will get painted white rather than trying to match/blend it. Painted by myself as i learn to spray or i will role on some white Monstotrline. The hood might just get resprayed with clear by myself since it just started pealing. The fender flairs will just stay as they are for now. I do have new fender gaskets that i will replace myself.

If you are going to own a truck this old you better learn to tinker on it yourself. Something like fender trim is a good first project.

Hey folks can someone please let me know the correct paint code for this black paint found in between the doors and surrounds the rear sliding glass

Is this just flat black ? Is it applied after you paint or before??

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1426653160.758271.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1426653172.823755.jpg

There is no code. It is a generic satin blackout. Any body shop should be able to duplicate it.

When removing the door handles, can the rubber be carefully removed and reused or I have to replace when I separate it ?

Door handle gaskets are not serviced. You have to buy the handles to get them. The rear door handles are discontinued (all colors) so that is a moot point for the rear doors. The gaskets are staked to the handles but if you are very careful you can work them off.

See the thread here for closure on this :

Photo Album:

Wow, 6 years later … lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom