P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2007 LC has 170k miles and has been getting this code about every 4 weeks for the last 3-4 months. There are no other symptoms. Each time I reset the code with my handheld diag tool, and the code stays off for about 4 weeks then comes back.

I went ahead and had my mechanic replace the crankshaft sensor. And then like clockwork, the code came back again about 4 weeks after last time.

I have searched the forum and interwebs and there are a ton of different issues that could be causing this code. But usually it is along with symptoms or another code. Might anyone have an insight on a checklist of items that I should run through to diagnose the code given that I am not seeing any other symptoms or engine issues? Many thanks

Do you have the repair manual? Ive cut & pasted some pages starting at DI-191 referencing P0335. This is from 2004 repair manual- this might help get you most of the way there. If you have tech stream you can pull the freeze frame data to see where & when the DTC triggered and anything else that is going on.

Good luck

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 8.44.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 9.14.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 9.15.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 9.15.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 9.16.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 9.16.33 AM.png

abuck99 thanks for your guidance. I assume this diagnosis protocol applies to a petrol Cruiser. I have an issue with my crankcase position sensor on my 1HDFTE 4.2litre diesel. Do you have available the diagnosis protocols for my engine available or know where I can obtain such. Any assistance you can provide would be well appreciated.

abuck99 thanks for your guidance. I assume this diagnosis protocol applies to a petrol Cruiser. I have an issue with my crankcase position sensor on my 1HDFTE 4.2litre diesel. Do you have available the diagnosis protocols for my engine available or know where I can obtain such. Any assistance you can provide would be well appreciated.

Yes this diagnostic was related to 2004 100 series 2UZFE platform. Sorry I don't have any info on 1HDFTE platform, maybe someone else will chime in.

Thank you very much for the helpful info. The FSM is the same for 2007 so this should be the right protocol. I will go through this with my mechanic and let you guys know how it turns out. Hopefully this doesnt turn into some electrical grimlin.

4 years ago rodents got under my hood and chewed up some wiring, which was repairable. So of course my first reaction to everything is to blame that event for items like this.

So my mechanic replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and checked the wiring for shorts. He did not check the sensor plate teeth discussed above because that's a big job. And i am still getting this code but only about once every 3-4 weeks. He thinks the next step is to replace the ECM.

Before i do that, i just wanted to check if anyone else has had a similar experience as me and might have ideas of other issues this might be before i go through the hassle and expense of getting the ECM refurbished or possibly replaced. Many thanks

Check the wiring to the crank position sensor. Had sensor fault code which the techs at Toyota said was the unichip piggyback computer which they disconnected. My tuneshop while fitting up my new fuel pump the next week found a dodgy wire to the crank sensor. Once that was sorted connected the unichip system and no issue. Apparently dodgy wiring to sensor is a common issue

My 2006 LC100 threw the P0335 code right before I was headed to Silverton, CO to run some trails. I found this thread and with almost no time just had the crankshaft position sensor replaced ($250 parts/labor) and also asked for my mechanic to check the wiring. They replaced and said wiring was fine although sometimes I doubt they actually check stuff like that. Anyway, about 2400 miles and six weeks later I got the same code. I looked at the freeze frame data and didn’t see anything out of the ordninary. I cleared the codes and will see if like dallasog this starts to be a recurring like clockwork thing. Anyone with additional information on solutions?

the book is good and should be the order you go in. sensor, wiring at ecu, crank wheel teeth. In order of difficulty.
I do not know if you can get a straw in there and spray the teeth off, I'd try i though. Going 2400 miles with a code seems like it might rule out wiring at the ecu. Unsure.
That wiring does run up the front of the engine though, routing on it is pretty important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom