Oztent good deals or a group buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm also looking a ground tent so I'd be interested in finding out a price, but I'm still weighing the pros and cons of the different tents. Been comparing Springbar/Kodiak tents vs OZ tents vs nylon tents.

How do the OZ tents hold up to high winds? Are they freestanding or does it require a lot of stakes to keep them from collapsing?

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth between an oztent and springbar a few times as well. I like the set up size and the real canvas much better about the springbar but the eaz of set up and the ability to add space with the side and front panels and the tagalong tent has me settling on the oztent. I know it takes a lot of room packed but I can jus put it on the roof rack. From all the reviews and research I've done the oztent is pretty sturdy in the wind as long as you peg it down. It doesnt need to be peged down to stand but they make it more sturdy for wind or other bad weather. I've heard condensation can be problem in the oztent as well but is almost completely eliminated if you use the fly. And the fly can be left attached when you pack it up.

Most people that have either one of these tents really like them. I think it just depends on what works best for you.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the video that showed the potential for water in the OZtent near the door? This is what swayed me from the oztent. I spent a night in the rain last month and I was dry in my tent. Of course the wind demolished it the next night. I hope my new one will stand up to the wind. The Kodiak was high on my list too but was too cumbersome.

@TXSunDevil Did not see vid. Link? Which tent did you end up getting?

I ended up with the REI Base Camp 6. It replaced the North Face Wawona 6 that didn't make it through the wind storm. Interior of the tent was full of sand and the poles bent. Pretty brutal winds but I think it should have held up. Ill see if I can find the review of the oztent. Really wanted a canvas one but with 4 people in the cruiser space is at a premium when boon docking.

It is for the RV3 and shows the issue around 2:50 of the video. I watched a bunch of videos of many tents. Really liked the Kodiak and the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Dome also.

I can see that happening but perhaps it is an issue with the peaked side panels and not the tent itself. The water is being funneled down into that corner. But when the Oztent is used by itself, the awning would normally direct water away from the tent's peak. The standard side panels (vs peaked) might also prevent this funneling from happening.

Oztent.jpg

That is very possible. None of the others showed that corner so hard to say. Looks like a good product and I would like to see one in person. I have a few trips coming up in my new tent so we will see how it holds up.

Folks I’ve had my RV4 for 10+ years and slept in it from North Carolina to Alaska. Rain,snow, and everything in between.
No leaks!
Even had it weather a storm where others were blown away.
Stake it down, use your guide lines. And it will work.

I am trying to find out about discount group pricing with OzTent but supply looks tight right now. I will let y'all know what I find out about both new shipments to the US and if I can get us a break...

I would be interested in a group buy.

Interested in group buy of RV4 or RV5 as well.

Also interested in understanding the difference between the Eyre series and the RV series?

I have to bow out of the lead role in a group buy as we didn't have the time to set up as a reseller of OzTent and bit the bullet and ordered from FamilyTentCamping (real nice outfit). Took the RV5 our for an epic mini-overland trip into the Oregon Outback over Memorial Day:

IMG_20180527_203353.jpg

WE LOVE IT. Best tent I've ever had to set up and pack up. Wish it was touch lighter, but that quality canvas is going to help it last so can't complain too much.

Re: Eyre vs RV5- the Eyre is synthetic so lighter & less robust. Your call. We feel like ours will outlast us and for now willing to shlep it up on the rack- ymmv

What is "ExpertCity"? Hard to tell without committing to signing up. thx.

What is "ExpertCity"? Hard to tell without committing to signing up. thx.
Seems like SPAM to me..

It is a site for industry folks to use to get discounts from a lot of outdoor brands. Being military I am eligible and have ordered a few things but honestly, by the time I've paid shipping on items, I could have got the item for about the same price if I would have bought it from a retailer that offered free shipping. So its good and isn't, really have to do price comparison because I've found most stuff less expensive elsewhere, but it is a legit site, along with www.outdoorprolink.com

It is a site for industry folks to use to get discounts from a lot of outdoor brands. Being military I am eligible and have ordered a few things but honestly, by the time I've paid shipping on items, I could have got the item for about the same price if I would have bought it from a retailer that offered free shipping. So its good and isn't, really have to do price comparison because I've found most stuff less expensive elsewhere, but it is a legit site, along with www.outdoorprolink.com

what he said.. lots of discounted items. I just ordered the Batwing Awning for 35% off

I've gone back and forth between an oztent and springbar a few times as well. I like the set up size and the real canvas much better about the springbar but the eaz of set up and the ability to add space with the side and front panels and the tagalong tent has me settling on the oztent. I know it takes a lot of room packed but I can jus put it on the roof rack. From all the reviews and research I've done the oztent is pretty sturdy in the wind as long as you peg it down. It doesnt need to be peged down to stand but they make it more sturdy for wind or other bad weather. I've heard condensation can be problem in the oztent as well but is almost completely eliminated if you use the fly. And the fly can be left attached when you pack it up.

Most people that have either one of these tents really like them. I think it just depends on what works best for you.
Old post but, Spring Bar is a heavy beast of a tent! 70lbs.
Aditionally, one must pound 23 big stakes into the ground before you set it up. If you are not camping on a field or beach, someplace where the ground may not be perfect, it will not set up well. Gotta leave time to pull all them stakes back out when it's time to roll...
It has it's moments, but I would not recommend one for an overland or quick camp situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom