Overland Troopy Build - which engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm starting with a blank canvas, have most of the pieces lined up, and about to transfer a big wedge of cash to a man who can get me a 78 Series new in Dubai.

But... am I making a big mistake ordering the VDJ over the HDJ (which I believe are still available new here) or even the GR& 4.0 petrol?

I had planned on using here in the region for the next 2-3 years, then travelling through Iran or Saudi, back to the UK. But recently been thinking Africa (a bit of a Troopy cliche) as a route back to the UK.

If the VDJ that intolerant to low quality fuel? Even with the secondary diesel filter? Or is it more sulphur content?

Help me before I dump a butt load of cash and regret it forever.

Last edited:
Toyota or Nissan , defiantly Toyota , better resell value .
VDJ or HDJ , good question .
thinking overloading in ME or africa 100% HDJ , no question .
VDJ in Europe ,maybe , there is a big anti diesel wave now , would be better petrol .

Bye Renago

I cant think of a single good reason to choose VDJ over HDJ.

If the VDJ that intolerant to low quality fuel? Even with the secondary diesel filter? Or is it more sulphur content?

I think you would be ok with that filtration, but you need something to warn you as well.
I dont know much about the fuel injection system but they can most likely alter the settings to some extent to suit the fuel.
If you had a good stock of jerry cans, you could fill up at major outlets only.
Theoretically, the standard 130 litre tank should take you 1200klms and the 20litre jerry cans would give maybe 200klms each. You could possibly go 2000klms with 4 cans without stopping for fuel.

The scary thing about the 1 VD is what happens if it stops. For that I would get good tow insurance.

Last edited:
If you come to Africa, keep it as simple as possible. Good diesel work work everywhere and the less electronics the better. Big cities will have plenty of support, but if you want to go further into the bush simplicity will pay off. My favorite is HD-T that will take you everywhere, parts are there and anyone will fix it for you.

In Africa they normally have 500ppm sulphur diesel and a few of the vdj only like the 50ppm in the more built up areas/ countries. I am by far from a expect but read about it on a few SA forums

The VD engine sometimes also has problems, at least that what they said in Mongolia. Check Engine lights because of the fuel.
But then, I met a guy coming from Australia with a VDJ7* who specifically wanted that engine, and he didn't mention any problems (and he was already in Central Asia when we met him, which doesn't have good diesel either)

Mind you, petrol can sometimes be the better choice for overlanding, because it is better available or of better quality. This has to do with most locals driving some old Hyundai sedan or something.
I don't know about Africa, but had now some occasions on our trips to Asia when the diesel was finished or hard to find and/or of s***ty quality. Petrol was always available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom