Overland Expo 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Overland Expo, Amado, AZ. April 1st to 3rd, 2011.

By: Roberto L. Miranda

I’m always looking for new activities to me, but always related with the four wheel drive and the outdoors world. The Overland Expo sounds great, but is hosted in Amado, Arizona. That little town is like 8 hours driving straight from home in OC, California. You do the math in terms of gas money. Having the Pomona Expo or the Sema Show in Vegas, the Sand Sports Expo and the LA Auto Show close by, make no sense to me to drive so far to another similar expo.

Alexis was there last year, he was dreaming about opening a shop related to this activity, as well as driving around the world. The shop becomes a reality while we are still dreaming about driving and camping around the world, called over landing in modern terms. The driving will be on hold for a while, and the shop is so demanding that is not even fun.

A long history short, I was invited as “vendor assistant” for this year Expo, helping Alexis and Rusty in one or two things, like driving to get there or driving back while they rest. Also, I’m helping them standing at the booth when they are doing the “business talk” all over the Expo. Packing/Unpacking stuff was part of the deal as well. What I gained doing that? Nothing, I just take pictures to share and the opportunity to talk with people with same interest. I’m not sharing gas expenses either. To me, is a win-win situation!

The people behind scenes of the Overland Expo is totally aware of this situation, so they offered tons of trainings related to this activity, like GPS navigation, map lectures and so many other topics to bring people like me to that little town in the middle of no where. You can’t get so many options in any other expo, so I believe that is the key for their success bringing people and vendors to the remote location. Vendors are not so happy about so many trainings, but let’s face it, that is why so many people are there in first place.

The amenities for low budget vendors like us were great. You basically camp at your booth, but they offered day care for small kids, that works great for the couple in front of us let me tell you. We had access to hot showers and clean restrooms, different than the general public ones, that where great too. In terms of food, you can fix your own meals with your camping gear, or take advantage of the two restaurants and other food related areas. We did both, but buying food is so convenient that we hardly cook anything, besides the fact that our booth’s neighbors were cooking all the time, we had plenty of food.

Land Rover was the only “brand” doing test drive for people, with brand new Range Rovers. People could drive their own car on the track as well, or that was my impression, I didn’t ask to be honest. Kristina, and old friend of the NorCal Wagoons group, she was an instructor there, so it was quite funny watching her as an instructor. She is also giving training and certifications for first aid under the overlanding activities, so we will be contacting our local clubs about it. Capo Valley, San Diego Land Rover Club, SoCal Toyota Land Cruisers and SoCal 80’s be prepared if you are interested, more news to come soon.

In our way back on Sunday, close to mid night, we were stopped by the boarder patrol check point at the I-8 close to Mexicali, but nothing was wrong with us. They just simple asked us about the Adventure Trailer that we were towing, and if we could stop few minutes for them, so they can take a closer look of the trailer. We stopped and we had a fun conversation with them; maybe they will be future clients for the shop. That was very unique. Alexis is just natural doing his talking about his stuff.

How was the weather? Hmmm I know you want to know that. Well, spring in Arizona is like summer every where else. We had three digits readings, lots of wind and dust. What else I can say?

It was profitable for you guys? To be honest, if you focus on money in your pocket, in my opinion, is not. We didn’t cover the booth or the gas to get there. But, if we can measure with a dollar value the connections and the information that we got, and assign dollars figures to that, then yes, it was a great business. It is a future investment in your own business.

You will do it again next year? Sure, not driving my own car and with expenses covered, why not?

I could continue with plenty of details and funny histores about our trip, so please let me know anything else you might want to know about the expo and I’ll do my best to answer it.

P.S. I stopped to say hi to Dave and Jerry!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom