Overheating Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, Please help!!!
I recently installed my Radiator (badly rusted) with a larger 4 line aluminum radiator. Also changed all hoses, belts, thermostat and housing, fan and clutch.
Truck overheats... installed another thermostat from dealer and radiator cap... these are the symptoms..
The temperature needle rises to red then slowly goes down to the middle again. then on idle its ok... when accelerating needle goes up again...hen I slow down needle drops again... I checked for coolant in the oil but clear... forgot to mention when hot engine hesitates and no power...did a full tune-up..ok for a while and now hesitates again...any suggestions?
Thanks everyone

Howdy,

There is lots of reading on here, so I'd start searching and get your learn on. Many good people here to help but repeating already given out info gets old.

Also, its very helpful to have your location and year of rig along with any mods in your signature as that makes it easier for people jump in and help without having to ask for that stuff too.

Welcome to Mud!

What year? What radiator did you put in? Did you replace the radiator because it was overheating?

One thing If you see the OEM temp gage going up or near the red and you didn't modify the OEM then you are in a danger zone
The OEM temp gage is lame slow and when it moves is totally too late

I use OBD and dry sensor separate temp measurements and i can tell you that you can get AC cut out 215F without no movement in the OEM gage

Bad HG?

About the rust in the cooling system; rust does not transfer heat well and is detrimental to the cooling process. My 93 hasd dark brown coolant/water when I bought it nearly 5 years ago. I have flushed it five times now and the product that helped the most was Thermocure. It’s main function is to dissolve rust. My coolant seems to be staying clear these days.

I suggest oil analysis and using a block tester from a parts store line Autozone to rule out a failing head gasket.

What brand radiator did you install? Where did it come from?

Like someone else, mentioned, year of truck and location would help. Seems like you changed a lot of stuff, but did you flush the heater core and engine during the changes? Then get all the air out with either a coolant burping funnel or somehow raising front end.

Tom Leri said, Quote "The temperature needle rises to red then slowly goes down to the middle again. then on idle its ok... when accelerating needle goes up again...hen I slow down needle drops again.. " end quote

I agree with some of the members above, Sounds like you may still have air trapped in your cooling system.

Below is a link that shows you how to fix your stock temp gauge so it reads right.

I thank you all for your advise and support. I had done all of the above and still no fix. BUT problem solved!!! Coolant temperature sensor.... the one I replaced (OEM) was defected. Replaced it again and we are good to go. Thanks again everyone!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom