opinions on best fridge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had Iron Man, ARB, Snowmaster and others. They all seem to work. I would suggest you get the largest you need for the longest trip and power it properly. I haven't had one fail yet but have changed for more capacity. I have an ARB element now as I wanted the weatherproofing and lock. Works great.

*edit: EVERY fridge I have ever bought is still running with the next owner.

Stay away from ICECO. My vl60D failed after 3 months. There are people on facebook group (iceco fridge club) with similar experiences as mine. Basically fridge does what it feels like at the moment. Either freezes everything to s*** or doesnt do anything. Today all my cans froze. Again. I guess im lucky they didnt burst and leak out through the fridge onto my drawers etc. Yes, the fridge compartments are NOT sealed on bottoms.

I'm afraid we're one ICECO's victims. They sent us a replacement after I was able to send them screenshots that displayed the irregularities. I'm not sure the replacement is much better.

We did some testing indoors and it passed the test when plugged in. It's when the fridge is in our truck that we can't trust it. But that obviously defeats the purpose. Why would the outlet we're using make any difference? We double checked the wiring and all is as it should be.

At some point we may just replacement. Bummer cause these things aren't cheap and we cut our floor board for the iceco VL60 tray.

Thanks for posting this. inspired me to write a negative review on amazon.

@Everlong I'm curious if you also tested yours indoors in addition to the vehicle?

I've got a 50 quart ARB I picked up new in early 2017 (now over 6 years old) for $799...something tells me they are more than that now... never an issue... when it isn't being used in the vehicle it is a house beer fridge in the garage being used full time

If one did have a problem :)

Last edited:
I'm afraid we're one ICECO's victims. They sent us a replacement after I was able to send them screenshots that displayed the irregularities. I'm not sure the replacement is much better.

We did some testing indoors and it passed the test when plugged in. It's when the fridge is in our truck that we can't trust it. But that obviously defeats the purpose. Why would the outlet we're using make any difference? We double checked the wiring and all is as it should be.

At some point we may just replacement. Bummer cause these things aren't cheap and we cut our floor board for the iceco VL60 tray.

Thanks for posting this. inspired me to write a negative review on amazon.

@Everlong I'm curious if you also tested yours indoors in addition to the vehicle?
Yeahh, i tried on AC in the garage and on AC in my truck. Same thing happens. However, my fridge runs of two solar panels on the roof of my LX and two batteries that are under the wings of my Dobinsons drawer system. I didnt want to power it off the main battery in case it ****s up and drains it all the way.

We have the same one with a different brand sticker on it. I was hoping to get 6 months/ 1 or 2 trips out of it. We are also on year 3 with a LOT of use. It also makes a great patio/party cooler.
I bought the Costco/Massimo Fridge and it has worked as intended.
No Long Term Review as I only use it a few times a Year.
We have the 2nd Battery with Blue Sea Isolator. It has worked Fine.
Fully Loaded it will take out your Back, the wheels on it work, but no so handy sliding in Vehicle.

The Dometic Center Console Rocks!
I sold Original Console for $100 on ebay and bought the Dometic CDF11 for $300 so $200 out of Pocket.
We absolutely Love it. It's Pure Luxury to have Tea during Long Drives and Adult Pops when TrailRiding.
I've even Brought home Ice Cream and Frozen Fish I caught in it.
It gets used Constantly.
There is only 1 small thing and it's not really an issue, but it puts out warm air in the Summer, but it's no Hotter than the Passenger Footwell.
Get the Adapter to Plug it into 110V.
I'm very Impressed with Dometics. I'd buy another Tomorrow, but I would also buy an Engel anyday too.

Dometic.jpg

Last edited:
Why so Soggy Bro?
Good one….I’ve been a long time proponent of frozen water bottles for my ice coolers to avoid the sogginess from melted ice. This works great for quick day trips or short weekend trips.

I also have a small 20qt iceco that plugs to my Bluetti power station which gets charged via cigarette lighter when driving or solar panels when parked.

the iceco been working for me and I have not tried the other brands. I just don’t use it that frequently since I go on 4-day+ trips like once every two years. Most of my outings are weekend trip

Hello, When it comes to finding the fridge for your GX470, it's all about striking that balance between functionality and convenience. Consider the fridge's capacity, power source options, and how well it can withstand the rigours of off-road adventures. You'll want something durable and reliable to keep your goodies cool and fresh wherever you roam. The best fridge for you depends on your specific needs and preferences. Think about how much space you require, how often you'll use it, and what power sources you have available. Reading reviews and seeking advice from fellow campers who have tried different fridges can also be helpful. So, take your time, weigh your options, and choose a commercial refrigerator that suits your camping style like a glove.

ChatGPT, that you?

There are tons of really good fridges out there! Some more affordable than others, and most of them do the same thing. From what I have learned personally, the more expensive ones have some more bells and whistles and last a few years longer, usually coming with support from factory. The best one out there is, IMHO, Dometics CFX line, but I have seen some other great fridges for lower prices as well!

I have been using Engel's dual zone MT45 for about two years now. Gets used 30-50 days a year and has worked flawlessly. It's not as quiet as I had hoped based on reviews but it's far from loud. I spent more for something I hope to last me a lifetime, and so far it's been banged around plenty and showing no signs of letting up, with very little to break.

I have the small alpicool listed above as well and had issues with it being erratic when in our camper. Now it's just used for parties, as we couldn't trust it while camping.

5+ years on an ARB 47 qt that I bought used. When it's not in the vehicle on a trip it's in the garage powered up as a spare freezer 24/7. In the vehicle I used to power it straight off the agm engine starting battery, but now I run an Ecoflow River Pro and solar. I had initial regrets splurging on the fridge, but I've utilized it more that I thought I ever would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom