Old battery type electrolyte (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey team
I got this battery which reminds me of old good days , now I’m wondering is there genuine electrolyte for it ? I searched at google but couldn’t find something that I feel it’s suitable

I need your advise

IMG_9850.jpeg

IMG_9851.jpeg

IMG_9852.jpeg

IMG_9853.jpeg

IMG_9848.jpeg

been a long time since seeing a dry battery, I remember pumping gas as a teenager and the mechanics filling batteries

anyone knows website sells genuine electrolyte because this is brand new battery I don’t want to put non approved water or low quality as it will damage the battery and decrease it’s live

Distilled water?

Do a web search for "battery electrolyte" and see if any sources are local as I don't know what shipping restrictions would be. Also, you might want to check with any plating shops as they may have what you're looking for. You're looking for battery grade sulfuric acid. Also, distilled water was used to top off low level batteries as straight tap water has minerals you don't want in the battery.

Udate: Found this info about KSA suppliers.

Last edited:
It’s becoming less & less common, but I wouldn’t call it rare. It’s sulfuric acid and water. Pre-mixed and it’s called “electrolyte”. Get it at Napa, Amazon, Walmart to name a few. "Amazon"

go gat a jet ski or motorcycle batt from walmart , it comes with it.

It took me a while to comprehend what "old type electrolyte" was. Would someone please explain what the "new type electrolyte" is?

I remember long time ago there was Toyota distilled water , genuine one
Any genuine distilled water from a quality source is going to be the same, distilled water....

They sell at grocery stores in the US, I use it for 50/50 mixing the coolant with antifreeze.

But the battery should have sulfuric acid in it, (the acid in lead acid), and I'm not sure how you get that with just water? topping it off with a little water was a pretty normal thing back in the day, I've been told, but from brand new, out of the box, there's gotta be something more involved.

You might also see if there's any heavy equipment places around, I've never bought a Cat battery but I wouldn't be surprised if they were distributed similarly. (same basic thing, just four times as large).

Any genuine distilled water from a quality source is going to be the same, distilled water....

They sell at grocery stores in the US, I use it for 50/50 mixing the coolant with antifreeze.

But the battery should have sulfuric acid in it, (the acid in lead acid), and I'm not sure how you get that with just water? topping it off with a little water was a pretty normal thing back in the day, I've been told, but from brand new, out of the box, there's gotta be something more involved.

You might also see if there's any heavy equipment places around, I've never bought a Cat battery but I wouldn't be surprised if they were distributed similarly. (same basic thing, just four times as large).
electrolyte is combination of water & Sulfuric acid sold per gallons or bottles & as you mentioned they use it widely in heavy equipments batteries like CAT

IMG_9941.jpeg

It would seem that the concentration of sulfuric acid and water would vary depending on application, so how would you know you’re putting in the correct concentration for your battery? I think what depletes over time on a wet cell battery is the H2O not the sulfuric acid so adding distilled (or deonized) water up to covering the cells replenishes that and sufficiently restores the acid concentration to adequate levels. Can’t speak at all wrt a battery that has completely dry cells.

@middlecalf , this Toyota battery has the proper specific gravity listed on the label, so in this case it's easy to know what is correct. Other brands of dry batteries might not be as helpful.

Andrew

@middlecalf , this Toyota battery has the proper specific gravity listed on the label, so in this case it's easy to know what is correct. Other brands of dry batteries might not be as helpful.

Andrew
Also we have to consider the description “ Hypird dry charged automative battery “ written at the carton , first time I see like it . For me if it’s aftermarket I will make it research rat but it’s rare genuine Battery .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom