Oil Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace said:
Mark Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the external regulator on the F motor more for diverting oil to the filter than regulating oil pressure?

So if you increase the psi you increase how much oil goes to the bearings and less goes through the filter

Right?

Nope. The only pressure regulator on those motors is the external one. It does not affect the split between the bearings and the filter. When the relief valve opens it dumps straight back to the pan.

Mark...

sl33py said:
wow - way more than i ever hoped to know about oil pressure.

Mark - i take it you've been into the f and 2f motors once or twice right? lol.

great info - thanks!

rob

Yeah, a couple a times. ;)

I've got one 2F on which I have removed the internal regulator from the pump, sealed the relief ports and added a second outlet line to it. I have clearanced and opened up the internals of the pump, and drilled new passages in the bosses left over from the F engine heritage. I basically am getting twice the flow out of the pump and have created two outlet paths which feed two coolers and two filters before plumbing one supply to the front of the motor and the other to the rear. I use a modified extrenal regulator and have everything set up to provide 45 psi at warm idle, 60 psi at warm 3000 and max out at 60 and 75 respectively when cold (10w40 oil). I get anywhere from zero to two pis pressure drop from the pump to the bearings, depending on oil temp and engine rpm. Total oil capacity of this engine (with the large filters on it) is 12 quarts.

Now oiling shortcomings here. ;)

Admittedly it is a bit of overkill, but it was a prototype affair and a bit of an experiment.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom