Oil Pressure Issues in my 1983 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after reading around on some of the other threads I thought I would post my own just to get some opinions as I am still new to the Landcruiser life. I have a 1983 60 series with somewhere around 220k or more (odometer/speedometer cable needs replaced) on the original 2f and have owned it for about 5 months now with no issues. Just recently though, whenever I get up to highway speeds my oil pressure drops to zero according to stock gauge. The part that is weird to me is that when driving in town 1st/2nd gear at 2k-2.5k rpm oil pressure reads fine, 3rd/4th gear 2k-3k oil pressure reads low to zero. My assumption is it is the gauge or the sending unit but want some more experienced opinions. For reference I live in Durango, Colorado where temps are pretty low during the winter so I am running 10w-30 Rotella. Attached are some photos of what I described above (1st photo is highway, second photo is in town)

oil pressure 1.jpg

The past couple days when I got up to speed it has been much lower than this ^^^^ (also ignore the brake light it goes on and off randomly regardless of hand brake()
oil pressure 3.jpg

ALways, get a real gauge to measure oil pressure.

Likely, you are fine, it's a issue with a gauge that is almost as accurate as an idiot light. But it's always best to verify.

If the gauge is intermitently up and down, then yes, I would guess bad gauge or sending unit. It should read highest when cold, and lower when hot and at optimum operation temps. I'd say to go ahead and add a mechanical gauge. It's really simple. I have a diesel 60 but I assume the 2f would be simillar in setup. I would find the sender, remove it, get a 3 way "t" with the right size, and tap in there for a mechanical gauge. You can also retain your factory setup like that. I will look through my threads to point out the page where I did the mod.

Ohh yeah, check the fluid level in your brake master cylinder. It could be low, that will turn the Pbrake light on.

Oil pump is a driven gear off the camshaft. It doesn't know (or care) what gear you've got the transmission in. Revs is all that matters.

See page 10 for a quick look at how to get a mech gauge installed. Unfortunately i do not have a proper writeup but it gives you an idea.

You have verified that the oil is topped off right? If it's cavitating, your pressure will drop.

Oil pump is a driven gear off the camshaft. It doesn't know (or care) what gear you've got the transmission in. Revs is all that matters.

For sure, that's why I was suspect of the gauge, only happens at highway speed, not at in town hence the reference to gears just to highlight the speed dependance (same rpm different gears = different results per the pictures)

If the gauge is intermitently up and down, then yes, I would guess bad gauge or sending unit. It should read highest when cold, and lower when hot and at optimum operation temps. I'd say to go ahead and add a mechanical gauge. It's really simple. I have a diesel 60 but I assume the 2f would be simillar in setup. I would find the sender, remove it, get a 3 way "t" with the right size, and tap in there for a mechanical gauge. You can also retain your factory setup like that. I will look through my threads to point out the page where I did the mod.
Awewome, thanks for the info, I am probably going to get a mechanical gauge ordered today.

Has your Oil Galley Plug been fixed?

Post a pic of the plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom