Oil pressure gauge dropped, check engine, then ATS Temp ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I get a call from the wife and she says the oil pressure guage droped to zero and check engine light went on. As we are talking she takes a corner to get off the street and the pressure gauge goes up.

I go and check it out thinking the Jiffy Lube people did not put enough oil in it 2 weeks ago when it was changed. I pull the dipstick and it is fine/full. I check filter and no leakage so that seems ok. Start the car and it is idling fine, pressure still low but the check engine lights is still on.

I pulled the battery terminal for about 30 seconds just to see and start her up. Oil pressure is fine but now the ATS temp gauge and check engine light are on and it wont idle.

Climb underneath and see no new oil, tranny fluid or anything and pull a clip on the tranny, blow into it and put it back in. Pull the battery terminal again and re start it.
No lights, idle is fine. She drives home no issues.

I know its a 100 series but it cant bet hat easy. What should I be checking?

i just bought a 2004 LX with no oil pressure indicated. My mechanic replaced it and said it was a sensor. I can check in the morning for details on what was done, but it wasn't expensive or hard.

She just called back and said check engine light is on and oil guage drops when she comes to a stop.

Yellow light right?

A.) Oil pressure switch? These sometimes go bad. Located near the filter, and if the tech snagged the wire, or something else it could be the issue.

B.) Did Jiffy lube put the wrong weight oil in? Wrong Filter? Too heavy an oil may cause some flow issues. Wrong filter or malfunctioning check valve in the filter?

(btw- I would under no circumstance use a fast lube/Jiffylube: questionable workmanship & materials) If you can't or won't do the change yourself, go to the dealer when they're running the specials. (still not a guarantee of perfect service, but at least you'l have a Toyota tech working on your truck with OEM parts.)

napa-autozone-oreilies will have code readers(free test); take your truck there and find out which codes.

Update: added picture of oil pressure switch location

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 9.43.30 AM.png

Last edited:
@abuck99 and @taco47001 have made some good points.

But never drive with oil lights and/or A/T lights on. This could be something very simple like bad sensors, short, loose MAF wire housing, loose oil cap. But you must find "what it is" or risk damaging engine or transmission.

It concerns me your getting engine oil & transmission lights at same time, that's assuming the "ATS" is your A/T oil Temp light. If this is the case it could be as simple as low coolant level, so low the coolant temp is not reading. This would mean your overheating, and engine is laboring at idle (very low RPM).

Thanks. Going to napa if few minutes. AThe temp light is off. Now just a check engine light and no oil pressure
Here is a surprise......
The sensor is 68 at Toyota and 63 at Lexus.

Let me give you some advice regardless if the oil change was the one to blame but NEVER take truck truck to Jiffy lube for any service.
I work for a company that has 500 trucks on their fleet, I lost count of how many engines Jiffy lube damaged.

A.J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom