Oil leak from where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a 91 land cruiser for my wife this weekend. It had 199,xxx miles.
Super clean, inside and out, paid $5,000.
The seller was super honest and super cool, probably the best Craigslist in my whole life.

He mentioned that there's a little oil leak, which I've been told most do. It's not a bad leak, it's not dripping on the ground.
I heard you can put dye in the oil to see what oil is leaking. Can someone tell me step by step how to do this please??
What kind of dye, etc. I have many, many, many more questions :)

Degrease and pressure wash first

Get UV dye from parts store and black light. Add to crank case. Drive and inspect regularly. May be able to find it without the dye after cleaning. Wait foe some 3FE motor folks to chime in to help you ID regular leak culprits.

Enjoy the new ride

Ok ok. So degrease and powerwash first. My buddy has the same year and he said there are some auto shops that can steam clean the areas but not sure about the costs. I will also tighten the bolts around the engine oil pan. I'll also post some photos and hope they show something worthy.

Here's some pics I'll try and get some better ones if these don't help.

I got this land cruiser for my wife and our family and plan to have it for a long time so getting the leaks fixed would be ideal.

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

Oh and does anyone have a good suggestion for a degreaser that works good? I usually use a foam but I feel like it doesn't work great and I've tried a few others and they are such a waste of money.

Oven cleaner

Thanks guys!

ended up getting the steam clean and did the dye so we shall see what that tells us soon.

Hey There Wifes80,

Just curious how your oil leak pursuit came out? I'm getting myself ready to chase down an oil leak on my 79 FJ40. Done all the normal stuff already, tightening the oil pan and all that. Then I drive it, get it warm for an hour or two and I can't tell where the leak is coming from. Anyway, if you found yours - would love to hear an update of your method(s). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom