Oil change interval difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always changed my oil/filter using synthetic every 5k miles, even used oil analysis and it would alway indicate with all my Toyota/Lexus vehicles that my oil would be fine for well over a 10k mile change interval. So I was surprised to see when I got my 200 series that the owners manual shows change oil and filter using 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic, every 5k miles. My 2014 Lexus ES350 requires Oil/Filter change using the same weight synthetic every 10k miles. Anyone know what changed between 2011 and 2014? Or do the 2014 LX570's still require 5K mile oil change interval?

Also what's the deal with my 2011 LX570 requiring premium fuel but the Landcruiser with the same engine running on regular?

I've been putting full synthetic in the 200 for the past 17k kms and doing the servicing myself since my contract was up. Oil changed every 5k kms, the full synthetic should hold up to 10k kms but by 5k the oil is way darker than new and I'm hesitant of pushing it. I'll see if there's a difference now that the weather is cooling down here but the frequent drives through the desert really works the engine hard.

Staring with 2013 models, mr. T changed the synthetic oil change recommendation in the maintenance schedules to 10K miles for US spec 200s

None that I know of other than a factory fill with synthetic. However, I have not looked at the "new vehicle feature" info on Techinfo

My last Mobil1 5w20 10k OCI was at 100k and oil analysis returned favorable without any issues and they recommended higher OCI. 08 URJ200.

Brian,
Why do you like the 5W-30?
I switched to Mobil 1 at 30,000 miles. I've run Mobil 1 in all my LC without issues. The only thing I notice with the 200 is more valve noise than the 100..

i keep it simple. i follow toyota's recommended main schedule to the T with this exception: 5k interval just because.

anything else spewed on forums here and elsewhere I simply ignore.

It's simple, 5W30 offers a little more protection. XW20 weight oils were developed to increase fuel economy.

Until the heavier 5W30 can't make it into the tighter journal clearances on our modern engines. Then 5W30 = less protection ;)

i keep it simple. i follow toyota's recommended main schedule to the T with this exception: 5k interval just because.

anything else spewed on forums here and elsewhere I simply ignore.

You must be an old guy like me and anal about your rig. I would do 5k oil/filter changes like you. I was just curious about why the change. But the Lexus Master Mechanic that told me the change to 10k mile change interval was a marketing move. Like he said you can'T go wrong with synthetic at 10k intervals. I will also use Premium fuel like Lexus recommends for my engine, even though I know in my heart I can use regular or at least mid grade.

Main bearing oil clearance. The LS400 (24 years old) and IS-F both spec 5 or 10W30.

1990 LS400 1UZ standard all journals .0010 - .0018

2008 IS-F 2UR and 3UR Tundra/Land Cruiser journals 2 - 4 .0010 - .0015
journals 1 and 5 .0007 - .0012

1990 LS400 max clearance limit .0022
2008 IS-F 2UR and 3UR Tundra/Land Cruiser .0024

You must be an old guy like me and anal about your rig. I would do 5k oil/filter changes like you. I was just curious about why the change. But the Lexus Master Mechanic that told me the change to 10k mile change interval was a marketing move. Like he said you can'T go wrong with synthetic at 10k intervals. I will also use Premium fuel like Lexus recommends for my engine, even though I know in my heart I can use regular or at least mid grade.
Good call. Keep it simple. I'll be old like you... Someday.

Main bearing oil clearance. The LS400 (24 years old) and IS-F both spec 5 or 10W30.

1990 LS400 1UZ standard all journals .0010 - .0018

2008 IS-F 2UR and 3UR Tundra/Land Cruiser journals 2 - 4 .0010 - .0015
journals 1 and 5 .0007 - .0012

1990 LS400 max clearance limit .0022
2008 IS-F 2UR and 3UR Tundra/Land Cruiser .0024

What?

Just showing that the tighter clearances require thinner oil is a myth..... using the main bearings on the crankshaft as an example, one can see the clearances are no different on any of the Toyota V8s.

Just showing that the tighter clearances require thinner oil is a myth..... using the main bearings on the crankshaft as an example, one can see the clearances are no different on any of the Toyota V8s.

So the thinner oil is about MPG? The longer oil change interval, marketing hype to drive down the perceived cost to maintain the vehicle? That's what I'm thinking :)

i've been AR since birth. i care a lot about things i choose to care about and it rubs people the wrong way. such is life.

good call on following the manual. i'd do the same thing. LX - premium like toyota says. LC - regular like toyota says.

and i'd trust you more than a "master mechanic". i used to have a 2013 lexus ISF and its master mechanic didn't know the thing has zilch suspension adjustability like the M3, 911 etc from the factory. but i knew and i'm no master mechanic.

i've been AR since birth. i care a lot about things i choose to care about and it rubs people the wrong way. such is life.

good call on following the manual. i'd do the same thing. LX - premium like toyota says. LC - regular like toyota says.

and i'd trust you more than a "master mechanic". i used to have a 2013 lexus ISF and its master mechanic didn't know the thing has zilch suspension adjustability like the M3, 911 etc from the factory. but i knew and i'm no master mechanic.

Like you I check everything and question everything until it makes sense. Back before I retired and I was single I bought a lot of expensive cars. I took my Aston Martin ( the car in my picture under my SWUtah name to the left) in for its first oil change. I caught the mechanic putting 5w30 synthetic in my car the manual called for 20w50 synthetic racing oil. Called Aston got that fixed. Dought it hurt anything for the few miles it was in my car but what the Fxxk!! I guess everyone on this forum watchs me asking stupid questions in different ways. It's just me trying to get my head around something. I find the members on Mud very knowledgeable and patient with this old guy.

Last edited:
Of course when we were single we all bought really expensive cars. it's the internet. and it's aston, bud.

it's all good though. you're growing on me like a fungus and i'm glad to see you finally pulled the trigger.

i can't stand sh!t service esp when i'm paying for it. do i have trust issues with laborers? absolutely. I've paid for enough of them to not do it right for me to not trust until proven to be trustworthy so i totally get you. people seem to lack integrity these days. chalk it up to bad or absentee parenting.

and this is the same thing that happens to me on internet forums. a lot of people asking stupid questions, with perhaps even stupider people responding like they know when they've never DONE it. they just yip yap about and people seem to go along for the ride down to mediocrity. entertaining, but end of day, drivel.

sorry soap box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom