Off Road Camping Trailer Build (Aluminum) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maiden voyage last night. Stayed dry and nothing broken apart so that's a win!

IMG_20191115_220459.jpg
IMG_20191116_081605_985.jpg

Awesome setup PeeZed!! I like the skylight window in the front!

Yeah, it's a good setup and there are some additions needed to really make it utilitarian.

I'll tell you one thing though, a 13BT with aired down tires (20psi) hauling an additional 1200lb trailer with tires also aired down equals getting nowhere fast...but once we hit the gravel it was slow going regardless (I hate potholes!)

I need to get more fuel to my injectors me thinks.

Yeah, it's a good setup and there are some additions needed to really make it utilitarian.

I'll tell you one thing though, a 13BT with aired down tires (20psi) hauling an additional 1200lb trailer with tires also aired down equals getting nowhere fast...but once we hit the gravel it was slow going regardless (I hate potholes!)

I need to get more fuel to my injectors me thinks.

13BT's have a lot of power potential. 15psi, intercooler, fuel to match and you'll have power to spare I'm sure!

13BT's have a lot of power potential. 15psi, intercooler, fuel to match and you'll have power to spare I'm sure!

Another large improvement would be the wholesale auto valve body and torque converter, spendy but worth it in the long term. If memory serves me I think it locks up in 1st and 2nd gear.?

Another large improvement would be the wholesale auto valve body and torque converter, spendy but worth it in the long term. If memory serves me I think it locks up in 1st and 2nd gear.?

Wholesale locks in 3rd and OD. Factory the A442F only locks in OD which is not useful for towing.

A bit more organization in the back end.

Potable water on left, large marine cooler, then battery box on right. I still need to hook up the potable water pump from an RV.

Installed dual 85watt solar panels on the roof that I got from a buddy who wasn't using them anymore. Old school tech so we'll see how they do for keeping batteries charged.

Outside of the actual trailer lights for driving that are connected to the truck (24volt) all other electrical in the trailer will be run off of 12v batteries charged strictly by solar .

My hope is to install two aluminum flip down counters running down each side of the trailer; one for kitchen prep and cooking and the other for cleanup and washing.

IMG_20200510_180509_430.jpg

IMG_20200510_180509_429.jpg

IMG_20200510_180509_431.jpg

Got a couple 170AH deep cycle batteries that were used in some network backup power supply but were only ever on backup and not used. I don't know if they'll be any good, but I figured the fact they weigh 100lbs each meant they had something inside them. And no, I apparently do not care how much weight I'm adding 🤪

A few more wiring additions and some tidying of a few wires (temporary hookups for testing purposes) and I should be able to have a fan running through the night during warmer trips.

I really don't want any roof penetrations so I've opted to route the solar panel wiring somewhat uniquely, also hoping to avoid branch/tree rubbing the wires by avoiding the side edge as well.

IMG_20200625_212513.jpg

IMG_20200625_212520.jpg

IMG_20200625_205935.jpg

IMG_20200620_170537.jpg

Is that a WorkSafe approved 1x4 holding the 100 lb door over your head, on that fairly slippery aluminum?
Not sure how to drive home with two broken legs, concussion. You worry me, my friend.
Kind of built a better mousetrap!

Got a couple 170AH deep cycle batteries that were used in some network backup power supply but were only ever on backup and not used. I don't know if they'll be any good, but I figured the fact they weigh 100lbs each meant they had something inside them. And no, I apparently do not care how much weight I'm adding 🤪

A few more wiring additions and some tidying of a few wires (temporary hookups for testing purposes) and I should be able to have a fan running through the night during warmer trips.

I really don't want any roof penetrations so I've opted to route the solar panel wiring somewhat uniquely, also hoping to avoid branch/tree rubbing the wires by avoiding the side edge as well.

Those are some nuts batteries! A single 100Ah battery runs my camper with my family for over a week, so you should be set for a long time! If possible, mounting those in the front of your trailer would be better. Placing more weight at the front offers a lot better towing stability/comfort. My trailer has fresh water tanks in the front, and waste in the back. It always sucks towing back to a sani-station with the weight in the back after camping.

Is that a WorkSafe approved 1x4 holding the 100 lb door over your head, on that fairly slippery aluminum?
Not sure how to drive home with two broken legs, concussion. You worry me, my friend.
Kind of built a better mousetrap!

@PeeZed You probably have something in mind, but Princess Auto carries a ton of different gas struts for hoods/trunks etc. You might need two per side, but would help with the issue Jon has identified.

Yes gentlemen, I've been mocking up various lift supports with varying lb ratings to see what will work best, so don't fret.

In the end I may actually weld on a couple slots and nubs to just slide an aluminum pole into for the lift support solution.

@cruiserpilot, I'll tell you what though, if those new batteries weigh 100lbs each then there's no way that rear hatch ways even close to that.

@GTSSportCoupe, I seem to have a decent amount of tongue weight as I'm not even sure I could lift the tongue myself if I had to. I've driven rear heavy trailers and it's no fun, and I haven't noticed this acting like that so at this point I think I'm somewhat safe 😂

I do want to one day mount some shocks underneath as I'm just riding on springs currently and I that would help the ride substantially while towing.

Did some clearance R&D in the camp's back40 today after questions regarding access to a certain place.

Turns out I may need to swap the trailer pintle onto the bottom side of the tongue as it got kind buried. Rear bumper was rubbing but spare tire still had a few inches before touching the alum box.

IMG_20200626_145750.jpg

IMG_20200626_145849.jpg

IMG_20200626_145841.jpg

IMG_20200626_145827.jpg

IMG_20200626_145832.jpg

Then did some more wiring, or rather electrical systems building.

Gotta love when your buddy scraps an ambulance and says you can strip it of whatever you want! Got some nice electronics and lights and wiring.

IMG_20200626_172959.jpg

Did some clearance R&D in the camp's back40 today after questions regarding access to a certain place.

Turns out I may need to swap the trailer pintle onto the bottom side of the tongue as it got kind buried. Rear bumper was rubbing but spare tire still had a few inches before touching the alum box.

What happened when you drove down the other side? :hillbilly:

Then did some more wiring, or rather electrical systems building.

Gotta love when your buddy scraps an ambulance and says you can strip it of whatever you want! Got some nice electronics and lights and wiring.

View attachment 2352962

Crestline Ambulance? I've been looking for some spare ambulance parts if he's got spares.

BTW, I've got P/Ns for LED bulbs for the operating lights 2.4 W LED as bright as 37.5 W Halogen. Also LED bulbs for the side scene lights.

Finally got to the flip down shelves for improved kitchen setup for prep and cleanup on each side respectively.

Will likely need a wash down once we reach the campsite as that space will probably fill up with mud/dirt. Oh well, that's what onboard water and air are for right :)

The eye hook could be used to hang things from while prepping or doing cleanup too.

IMG_20200831_194725.jpg

IMG_20200831_194713.jpg

MVIMG_20200831_194703.jpg

IMG_20200831_194644.jpg

IMG_20200831_194657.jpg

Cool.

You could maybe glue a gasket to the side of the trailer for those shelves to seal against when they were folded up?

Might cut down on the cleaning...but might also be more trouble than it's worth.

Cool.

You could maybe glue a gasket to the side of the trailer for those shelves to seal against when they were folded up?

Might cut down on the cleaning...but might also be more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah. Between flexing and mud/dirt seemingly able to find it's way into any and all crevices, I feel the effort to find a better solution is borderline futile.

Get to camp. Open shelves. Spray them off. Done. Probably need to do that regardless with them being outside and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom