Off center calipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced my front rotors on my 93 and rebuilt my original calipers. I sourced new oem pads from wits end. Now when it's all reassembled, my calipers are so off center that the inner pads on either side will not go in. The outer pads have about .050" clearance. I did not replace the bearings in the hub as they are new, i just packed fresh grease in them. I'm using new brembo rotors that have all the correct oem dimensions (I checked). Can anyone tell me if they've seen this before and what's the fix? Thanks!

20221002_181716.jpg

20221003_172934.jpg

Does everything fit correctly with the OEM rotors?
If the only thing you changed was the rotors, then there's your answer. Either the rotors are not fully seated on the hub, or the rotors don't fit correctly.

Does everything fit correctly with the OEM rotors?
If the only thing you changed was the rotors, then there's your answer. Either the rotors are not fully seated on the hub, or the rotors don't fit correctly.
I would agree immediately but I did not check the gaps when I pulled off the calipers and rotor before starting the job. I'm wondering if the off-center condition existed earlier, and the power stop pads that were in there were thinner than the new Toyota pads I got. I have removed and reinstalled both hubs twice at this point and the condition still exists. Can you check your rotors and tell me if they're dead center in the calipers?

A couple questions:

#1, Did you split the calipers open?

#2, Did you replace the wheel bearings and races?

Could you have possibly flipped sides with the calipers? Bleeders should be at the top!?

I found when replacing my calipers the inner floating part was a PITA, just needed more to retract? are the little thin metal clips in correctly?

it's hard to tell from the pics

Those calipers are not supposed to be split open. I would not use them, but that's just me.

Maybe the rotors are improperly machined or are not seated fully on the hubs or are mis-identified.

If you still have the old rotors you could mount one up to see where it sits in relation to the caliper.

Those calipers are not supposed to be split open. I would not use them, but that's just me.

Maybe the rotors are improperly machined or are not seated fully on the hubs or are mis-identified.

If you still have the old rotors you could mount one up to see where it sits in relation to the caliper.
Good catch @cruiserdan!!

It looks like a race might have been omitted

I found when replacing my calipers the inner floating part was a PITA, just needed more to retract? are the little thin metal clips in correctly?

Can you explain why that is a "good catch" exactly? As stated in my OP the rotor checks out to the tenth of a millimeter in offset and thickness. The caliper halves were reassembled correctly but even that wouldn't cause the offset I'm seeing. Does anyone know the difference between power stop pads and Toyota pads?

I don't see a brake backing plate Where is it?

I don't see a brake backing plate Where is it?
I think I may have found part of the answer! I finally found the empty box for the pads sent to me by Joey. They are 04465-60230 which are for 2001 to 2007 models (100 series?). The 93 takes 04465-60110 which I assume are thinner and possibly come with backing shims? My bad for not double checking what was sent to me.

Screenshot_20221007-144738_Gmail.jpg

So cruiserdan said the calipers are “split” factory caliper bodies are one piece. So, that could mean they are out of tolerance? I did not catch that when looking at the pics you provided. Therefore, it was a good catch on his part. That doesn’t mean that’s your issue!

It could be the power stop pads are too thick and the pistons will not retract far enough (which is doubtful imo) I think the combination of remanufactured calipers and power stop pads might be out of spec/tolerance or the non-Toyota rotors are too thick or any combination of the three?

I think I may have found part of the answer! I finally found the empty box for the pads sent to me by Joey. They are 04465-60230 which are for 2001 to 2007 models (100 series?). The 93 takes 04465-60110 which I assume are thinner and possibly come with backing shims? My bad for not double checking what was sent to me.

View attachment 3134524
That’s good/bad news!! Now you have to wait for the correct pads!!

Hang on for a minute...

100 Series pads do fit, less the shims.

I'll ask again, where are the brake backing plates?

So cruiserdan said the calipers are “split” factory caliper bodies are one piece. So, that could mean they are out of tolerance? I did not catch that when looking at the pics you provided. Therefore, it was a good catch on his part. That doesn’t mean that’s your issue!

It could be the power stop pads are too thick and the pistons will not retract far enough (which is doubtful imo) I think the combination of remanufactured calipers and power stop pads might be out of spec/tolerance or the non-Toyota rotors are too thick or any combination of the three?
Yeah the pads are just too thick. I thick I got the wrong ones (100 series instead of 80 series) unless they are identical in which case I'm effed! There's no way any anti-squeal shims would ever fit and they are supposed to be in there! The gap between
That’s good/bad news!! Now you have to wait for the correct pads!!
Yeah I think this is the answer, wrong pads. But my rotor is still off center in the caliper but maybe I can live with that. This thread is what got me the answer (I hope) so big thanks to you and of course Cruiserdan for taking time out of your day to give input! It always helps to have someone to bounce off of since most of us work alone. Thanks!

Yeah the pads are just too thick. I thick I got the wrong ones (100 series instead of 80 series) unless they are identical in which case I'm effed! There's no way any anti-squeal shims would ever fit and they are supposed to be in there! The gap between

Yeah I think this is the answer, wrong pads. But my rotor is still off center in the caliper but maybe I can live with that. This thread is what got me the answer (I hope) so big thanks to you and of course Cruiserdan for taking time out of your day to give input! It always helps to have someone to bounce off of since most of us work alone. Thanks!
I'm waiting on braided steel brake lines from cruiser Bros so no big deal to wait for pads. Hopefully Joey at wits end will take these incorrect pads back, he usually does if stuff is in good condition. I'll buy the new ones from him if he has them. They are 04465-60110 for the 93.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom