OEM Tow Hitch - PITA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WTF Bolt?! by incudie posted May 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM[/GALLERY]Hmmm hoping someone here knows something that I don't.

I have a 99 LX470 that I'm trying to remove the stock bumper and tow hitch. I've got all the bolts out except these last two (one on each end). No matter how much I "unscrew" them, they're not coming out =/.

My first thought is that maybe the nut weld came undone inside the frame but both ends? Not a ton of rust on this rig either.

Should I knock on it three times and say some magic words?

Any insights would be much appreciated! =D

Probably bad luck. Both welded nuts are probably broken. See if you can drill a new hole on the side of the frame enough to weld on the nut inside. Then either weld the hole shut or throw paint on it and leave it.

Edit. Maybe you can cut a slit in the frame rail to get an open end wrench on the nut.

In the past, I've been able to remove bolts like that by inserting a pry bar in between the bolt head and the surface, and keeping tension on it as I unscrew the bolt. You'll lose the nut, so that might not be the solution if you need to reuse the hole/nut, but if not, I'd give it a shot.

WTF Bolt?! by incudie posted May 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM[/GALLERY]Hmmm hoping someone here knows something that I don't.

I have a 99 LX470 that I'm trying to remove the stock bumper and tow hitch. I've got all the bolts out except these last two (one on each end). No matter how much I "unscrew" them, they're not coming out =/.

My first thought is that maybe the nut weld came undone inside the frame but both ends? Not a ton of rust on this rig either.

Should I knock on it three times and say some magic words?

Any insights would be much appreciated! =D

If I am not mistaken, those back bolts don't have nuts, the hole is threaded thru the frame. At least thats the way it was with my 98 LC, I had one that would get about halfway loose, I just cut it off and replaced with new. I did do as Billygoats suggested on one of the front bolts, cut a slit in the frame and held the nut while I got it loose. There are reported issues with those factory bolt holes not drilled straight, I spoke with Mike at BIOR about this. Good luck!

Wellll, looks like it was the nut weld after all (on both sides!).
Cutting torch did the trick. Pulled it out tonight.

unnamed.jpg

Sadly, the crow bar didn't quite get me the tension I needed.

Thanks again guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom