OEM or Aftermarket PS Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get that power steering pump fixed before the leak kills your smog pump! The smog pump sits right below the power steering pump, and leaking fluid has been known to destroy the smog pump. An OEM smog pump is twice the cost of a power steering pump, FYI.

If you want to go aftermarket, and your wrenching time is valueless, then go ahead and throw on an aftermarket pump (or rebuild of an OEM pump from NAPA). Once you find out how fun it is to change out a pump, you'll wish you spent the $300 and bought a new pump from cruiser dan if your aftermarket pump or rebuilt pump starts leaking.

Last edited:
landcruiserdude said:
Get that power steering pump fixed before the leak kills your smog pump! The smog pump sits right below the power steerying pump, and leaking fluid has been known to destroy the smog pump. An OEM smog pump is twice the cost of a power steering pump, FYI.

If you want to go aftermarket, and your wrenching time is valueless, then go ahead and throw on an aftermarket pump (or rebuild of an OEM pump from NAPA). Once you find out how fun it is to change out a pump, you'll wish you spent the $300 and bought a new pump from cruiser dan if your aftermarket pump or rebuilt pump starts leaking.

thats what happend to me!!!!!
with time short, the local "cruiser expert" put a new pump in for me, cheap too, because he never tightend the pump, and the belt broke, leaving me overheating on the Garden State Parkway!
BTW..you dont have to remove the pump bracket to replace the pump. PITA..to me two hourse until, after i removed it, to realize it didnt matter. get a gear puller for the pully.
hammer

if you need any help, i'm in commerce city. pm me. i'm home most weekends now

PS pump

Just in case your still considering a part store rebuild, don't do it. I just changed mine out last week---for the second time. Part store $150 rebuid-lasted 2 full years, original OEM pump-lasted 19 years!!! the pump costs $300 new, so for the cost of 3 tanks of fuel you get a new one. Learn from our mistakes-go OEM.

Thanks for all of the info.....I going to go OEM....might as well. I took my truck into CTS in Conifer, and let Joe take a look at it, and tell me what kind of condition my trucks in and how much the P/S install is going to cost me. Thanks again, everyone's been real helpful.....hope I can return the favor some day.

-Carlos
(Los)

Spymaster0077 said:
Thanks for all of the info.....I going to go OEM....might as well. I took my truck into CTS in Conifer, and let Joe take a look at it, and tell me what kind of condition my trucks in and how much the P/S install is going to cost me. Thanks again, everyone's been real helpful.....hope I can return the favor some day.

-Carlos
(Los)

Carlos all of us are in the same way ( trial hahahaha ) one day all of us receive a lots of answers as you at this time ..

cheers,

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom